Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Job Interview - what to wear?

I'm gonna echo the sentiment of this thread. I work for a company where sandals, shorts and t-shirts are fairly common. Everybody still interviews in a suit, I think if someone where less dressed than that it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it definitely wouldn't help them.

I think the advice to wear something that is a little more hip or trendy than a traditional suit is good advice, just don't get too flashy.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Hhhmmm, what type of marketing company?

I am a part of the online marketing world and I wouldnt wear anything more than pants/shoes/tie to an interview.

I had an interview on Friday with a 25 person agency and the president/owner guy came in wearing shorts + flip-floppers. lol
Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Thanks all - I really appreciate the advice. I was thinking that I could stand out from the other applicants if I dressed according to (what I think) is their dress code. But it's a calculated risk that I don't think is worth it after reading these replies. A suit it is - I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah, but president/CEO is different. Way different. And I bet he too wears a suit when he has to.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 PM

Suit all the way, but be yourself. I wear a suit every work day and I'm a goofy son of a bitch. People don't think I'm stuffy.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 PM

BTW - when I did recruiting with a client that was a casual, hip ad agency, they expected suits for interview, but if you wore standard, conservative banker suit attire, that was almost an instant ding. Ask the recruiter specifically about the dress culture because if it's one of those hip marketing/ad agency types and you show up looking like an investment banker, you will immediately "not fit in."
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 PM

Wear suit, but mention in interview that you love the work culture and would fit in well
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 PM

Plus, there are different approaches to suits. You have the conservative kind and the new kind. I have both. I don't know how deep your suit collection is, but go for the most up to date, Hollywood style.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM

Wear the suit man, just because the normal work attire doesn't call for a suit, doesn't mean it's inappopriate in a job interview.

You wouldn't see a prospective baseball manager walking into the interview room with a baseball uniform and cleats.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all - I really appreciate the advice. I was thinking that I could stand out from the other applicants if I dressed according to (what I think) is their dress code. But it's a calculated risk that I don't think is worth it after reading these replies. A suit it is - I'll let you know how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call.

It never hurts to look nice. My brother had an interview a couple weeks ago with a company where everyone wears jeans and t-shirts and he asked me if he should wear a tie. I told him to wear a suit and tie, but apparently, he was pretty much out the door already with nice slacks and a sport coat. I told him that if he didn't have time to change, at least put on a tie.

He did and called me later to tell me that the CEO immediately complemented him on his attire.

Never hurts to overdress as long as you're not wearing a tux or a $2,000 Armani suit.

BTW, the suit/no-tie option is terrible.