Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Variance Please Help

Comment please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Much easier to read now. One more suggestion. Read the post by entitled "Before you post on this forum" at the beginning and follow the advice from Harv. I'm a newbie here, too. This forum will definately help you. It has me. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 PM

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Td Ad (two pair, aces and tens).
UTG+1 has Qh Ah (straight, ace high).
Hero has Ks As (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 15 BB. </font>
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM

Any mistakes in the hands given?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Well, it isn't just about mistakes. You have just listed a bunch of hands without any indication that you have thought about how you played them. Do you have any reads on the tendencies of your opponents? For example:

1. in the 66 hand is the button an a steal? Defending your BB with any pocket pair can be a great line, but if Button only raises AA-TT regardless of position then it's probably not a good idea. Maybe a c/r on the flop would get you a free turn or even a fold on the turn rather than putting in a bet every street. If you get further aggression you can think about throwing it away - or possible not playing it in the first place - or playing it more aggressively. And if you don't know your opponent, take a reasonable line - like you did with calling down and take notes when you see the showdown. Then you'll have a better idea how to play future hands against this villain.

2. In the AA hand when you get raised on turn when the 9 falls, why is that opponent raising? Unless you have a note that this opponent is crazy and bluffs a lot, you need to make reasonable assumptions about your opponent. Very, very simply, a bet usually means "I like my hand and it's at least top pair". If there is a raise it usually means "I can beat at least top pair". So, if a 9 falls and your opponent suddenly raises you, you have to think the 9 helped, in this case, to make two pair or a set or a slow played monster. But this is a tough spot to get away from with AA, so calling down isn't bad - but if I have notes on this person, I am check folding the river.

Just a couple of examples, but you get the picture that it is about the context of the cards and the opponents that will help you to get more of an edge. Sometimes the cards don't come, that's for sure, but you can reduce the variance a little by saving a bet here or there by knowing your opponents. GL
Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. For the 6's, I did not had any reads on the particular person. On the other hand, since I to choose tables that are looose (25+) and are not too aggressive ($6-10 avg. pot) I try to play accordingly. In other words, unless I have a specific read on the person, I usually play by "the book"

Some quick questions:
1) If you do not have any reads on a player and you are in late position and he raised from late postion what should you do with 5's, 6's, K-Joff, A-5s or any similar hands?
2)Is playing 10-Js, Q-Js, Q-10s, K-10s, K-Js in early position is a leak?