Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: What level SitnGo to start at?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll play a lot more 1.20 SnG's in the next few days, and if you see me, let me know by typing, and I'll let you in on my hole cards if I can via some other communication.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cameron, I think you're only trying to be helpful, but sharing hole card info is collusion. Since you've given out your Stars ID, and the Stars reps regularly read here, you should be especially careful not to break any rules that will get the Stars accounts of both you and the person you're trying to help confiscated.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was my understanding that if he ever saw him playing, at a different table, he would let him sweat while sharing his cards, sort of like ''this is what i do with these cards and is one of the plays *I* consider profitable'' i do not think he meant it as in at the same table
Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 PM

Thanks, quick...I didn't know that. I just know there are some people who have sites and actually make videos of their hole cards for instructional purposes. When I go back to the 1.20, then, I'll just play under a different sn. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 PM

what soupy said is right...there's no way I would do it if we were at the same table (I still want to beat the guy!). But either way, I'll just play under a diff. sn if I do go back down to that level. It's fun messin' with donks and typically a good payoff.

Cameron
Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 PM

James, I know what you're saying, but you have to understand is that what Ferguson did is something that he did to prove that it could be done. He's played at all levels, and he really KNOWS the game. Someone starting out in poker with $150 shouldn't risk $5.50 per SnG when they're just trying to learn how to play the SnG strategy. In fact, I don't know that I would play a 1.20 SnG with $20 in the account, as you say you're doing, and SnG's are practically all I play. ::shrugs:: It's just me, but really...it's out of my comfort level if I do go on a downswing. Luckily, I've learned how to walk away. Take care.

Cameron
Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Hey man thank you for your answeres!

I know the fact that a downswing can bust your bankroll. My Bankroll management is like this you need 20 Buy ins for the current level you are actual playing. (e.g. $6.50 Buy in = $130 if you have only 20 Buy ins for the level below e.g. $3.40 = 68 you go down on that level).

You really have to move down, when you are only 20 buy ins deep, but i think when you mastered the lower level you can easily rebuild your bankroll.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 PM

again, thanks. I've been playing much tighter and it's working out better.
1+.20 is definitely the way to go for me, right now until I get more familiar with the game.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM

I think you would be fine to play $5 SNGs with your roll, I don't think you need 50 buy in's as you should be able to pull a few wins. If not then drop down to the 1.25's... but I would find that to be really painful to play continually if I had $100+
Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 PM

As you've no doubt seen, SnGs involve a new learning curve. I've played about 1500 SnGs on different sites and at all levels (from $1 - $200). (Trust me, at about 8% ROI I'm no expert.) I've come to the realization that there's no REAL money in SnGs.

I think the problem with them is twofold.

First, they're pretty much a solved game. Sure, you run into some terrible players, but there are so many people who understand opitmal SnG play. Unless you get lucky early on or, OMG, very lucky when it gets down to the wire, it pretty well comes down to a coin flip to hit the money.

Second, IMO SnGs won't help you become a better player. Continuing to play cash games will allow you to work on a range of different facets of your game (even those about which you may, at least now, be unconscious) without the added pressure of a graduated blind structure or others reacting to the pressure of having to make a hurried move.

I'd say continue to play cash games.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM

i say the 5-6$ sngs are really really soft..
Old 06-05-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
again, thanks. I've been playing much tighter and it's working out better.
1+.20 is definitely the way to go for me, right now until I get more familiar with the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd recommend you either switch sites or move up a little bit to avoid paying 20% rake. Ultimate Bet has 1+.10 SnGs. You want to pay 10% or less in rake of your entry fee