Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Tax Dollars at Work

I don't think I took you out of context too badly there. But I felt a little bad about the insult, which is why I deleted it.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I took you out of context too badly there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The context was: "The truly cost-effective method would be to let them starve and die, or let private charities take care of them." If people actually care about homeless alcoholics, they should be able to voluntarily allocate a portion of their income to a cause that helps them. I don't think this is that unreasonable, personally, and I think if people had more money they'd be able to donate more.

[ QUOTE ]
But I felt a little bad about the insult, which is why I deleted it.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No hard feelings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But if you make fun of my ridiculous political beliefs again, I'm going to hunt down that post where you advocated the Technocracy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can come and go, and drink as much as you like? A far cry from the accomodations the government provides if you choose something other than their drug-of-choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Key point.

Aside from that, I don't see why the taxpayers have to be burdened with this. I personally have no demand for getting the bums off the streets. If they were on my property, then I would simply handle it myself. If all of the property owners force the bums off of their property then they may decide to reconsider their lifestyle (or move to 'government property', but who really cares about that).

This is standard government procedure; a few people have a problem so everyone else has to pay for it. Nothing like free (well, highly discounted) bum control for those who are vocal/powerful politically.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I still have a problem with rewarding incompetance and punishing productivity...My only real concern is its potential to demand an increase in funding

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with hmkpoker here, giving lazy incompetent slackers a free ride will not make problems go away. It may seem like the city is saving money, and it will save money initially, but long-term this is a bad idea.

Here is why communism failed. People only work as much as they have to, if you give people something for free, why would they work? They wouldn't! Yeah most of us wouldn't want that life, but even if just a small percentage does, then those centers will fill up faster than you think. What happens when they're full? I can guarantee you that people start suing saying the state has to take me in if they took someone else in. "Hey, you won't give me a free place b/c of my race, or sex, or whatever..."

It's a load of bull. I hate to sound like a republican or an AC'er here, but I would rather some freeloader die in the street than use my hard earned dollars to pay for him/her. Why is it my fault you can't manage your life? It's not. Oh and the cost of health care, if you are a CPI (or let's stop being PC here, why do we have to worry about hurting these drunk losers' feelings) you can die from sickness too. (Too bad for me, and good for them, that it is not up to me.)

How anyone thinks this is a good idea is beyond me...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How anyone thinks this is a good idea is beyond me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you think otherwise, you're a bad person.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 PM

"...so I don't see what's not to like about it. "

What offends so many is the injustice. Here we have a total loss of a human being as valued by his contribution to society living in relative luxury while consuming the tax contributions of many productive citizens. If that doesn't offend you, you need to start paying taxes.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:51 PM

I don't want to simplify this too far -- but if you subsidize something (like a lifestyle), don't you get more of it? I've always noticed that the cities that have visible homeless populations are the ones that treat them the best (ie, provide services for them). The same goes for welfare benefits. It's not too hard for homeless people to migrate -- and word gets around fast. I would assume the same goes for chronic alcoholics.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to simplify this too far -- but if you subsidize something (like a lifestyle), don't you get more of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold the phone, are you suggesting that rewarding someone for something makes them more likely to do it? That's crazy talk. Get back in the box.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 AM

Default For Avivasimplex:

What's a better WoD campaign setting: Technocracy, or Anarchocapitalist dystopia? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"...so I don't see what's not to like about it. "

What offends so many is the injustice. Here we have a total loss of a human being as valued by his contribution to society living in relative luxury while consuming the tax contributions of many productive citizens. If that doesn't offend you, you need to start paying taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 Note your use of the phrase "relative luxury." Relative to what? Relative to how the average American lives? Relative to how they had been living before? If you mean the latter, which I think you do, a waterproof box is "relative luxury," so I think that whole statement is just bogus.

#2 You do realize that under the system without these centers, it was a BIGGER waste of taxpayer money, right?