Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: What do you think of this?

[ QUOTE ]
I say a $20 buy in is not "real" money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry, the money is completely irrelevant and you know it. OP is upset at the principle of the matter.

OP, a lot of people don't understand or care about certain rules in poker such as soft-playing. At my home game, we don't care if someone deals for an hour at a time (because we trust each other), but that would be a major no-no at others' home games. They probably weren't trying to 'cheat' in their minds.

I would have been pissed too, but you can't just storm out like that if you want to stay in the home game, have good relations with your gf, etc. Perhaps you can find a rule book or something that shows why soft-playing is looked down upon, but you have to be prepared that they will not change their view on this matter. You will have to adjust your strategy accordingly.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 AM

It was never a proper game was it?

It was a bit of fun, one that the ladies could join in on and there was a little bit of cash in there to make it worthwhile. Next time, either re-programme your mind for when the wives and girlfriends are there - or arrange the night properly so that only those that know the 'rules' are invited to play.

There you go - two lots of home games to look forward to.

BTW - love the 'It's my ball and I'm going home' attitude.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I say a $20 buy in is not "real" money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry, the money is completely irrelevant and you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, but he didn't present it that way.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Next time, either re-programme your mind for when the wives and girlfriends are there -

[/ QUOTE ]

What [censored] is this?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the OP had the "it's your ballgame and I'm going to shoot myself in the foot" attitude.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 AM

I think you know what I mean. There's a difference between it being a proper game or one with girlfriends/wives.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always play to win even against my two kids - all I'm saying is don't throw your toys out of your pram when acceptable ettiquette goes out of the window - otherwise your family get upset and you end up like the OP, getting the reputation of a mental patient by the in-laws, not invited around for Christmas and before you know it there's an arguement with your woman...etc, etc. It'll all end in tears you know.

Why am I bothering to reply? I don't know, I don't really care - I just wanted to say that the situation isn't acceptable in a serious game. However, if it's supposed to be a light-hearted game for all the family...then you have to expect to lighten-up (or you'll go effing crazy).
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you know what I mean. There's a difference between it being a proper game or one with girlfriends/wives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so you WEREN'T making a blanket statement about women not being serious poker players.... because most of the ones in my group would have a problem with that.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It was a bit of fun, one that the ladies could join in on and there was a little bit of cash in there to make it worthwhile. Next time, either re-programme your mind for when the wives and girlfriends are there - or arrange the night properly so that only those that know the 'rules' are invited to play.

There you go - two lots of home games to look forward to.

[/ QUOTE ]

About half of the home game is women. They play every time. They play seriously.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quake you are 100% in the right. This is the definition of collusion and it is cheating. You have every right to be angry. If it was for $1 or $1000 dollars doesn't make a difference. It is cheating, plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point. We all know it's collusion but the question was what does he do? He claims that "everyone there is a serious player" but obviously that's not true or he wouldn't be complaining about a husband and wife tag team. Plus the fact that no one else there even thought that his complaints were worthwhile and the only conclusion we come to is that this is a fun home game where no one (except OP) cares about the money and is just playing for fun. As I wrote in one of my replies this is what the vast majority of home games are. You either adapt or you don't play there again. And, if you really need the $60 (2nd place) money so bad that you would storm out of the game then you should reconsider your priorities. Maybe you're (OP) playing too high?

[/ QUOTE ]

To make my situation clearer, "everyone" at that time was myself, the husband and wife, her friend, and another person. Only one of the other people is a poker player.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Only one of the other people is a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought #1) So you and one other person takes the game seriously. 6 out of 8 people are not poker players and just there for a good time and you expect the rules to be followed perfectly?

Thought #2) I agree you really did throw a hissy fit. What did you expect them to do, stop having fun? In fear of the increased odds of losing your $20 you leave the game and your money as well? So they got your money without even having to beat you? Looks like they win. Leaving the game was not the right thing to do. If you consider yourself a poker player you should be able to win against the couple even if you are two against one.

Thought #3) For everyone who tries their hardest playing for pennies against their children take the game too seriously. Honestly, poker is still a game. Realize that not everyone in the world treats poker like the religion it is made out to be on these boards. What do you think is more important to the guy... winning the tournament or keeping the wife happy so he gets laid?

Overall, the couple was trying to have a good time and while they did break the rules you didn't have to be an uptight vagina about it. No offense. It was $20 and it was against "family". If I was in that situation I wouldn't take the home game seriously for that amount either.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:15 PM

I meant only one of the other 2 people there at the time play poker. The rest had left after busting out.

And please realize, these people have played in EVERY home game we have ever played. They weren't just some people there looking for a good time.

Anyway, the wife talked to my GF today and pretty much admitted to her what I said. The GF now takes my side of it, apparently from the tone the wife was using while talking to her.