Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: NL SH> Small pairs in early position

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....because raising low pocket pairs from EP is massively profitable on their own and also increases the value of your big pocket pairs in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at raising low pocket pairs from EP is massively profitable, it's probebly profitably but absolutly not massivly. Care to show me a large PT sample?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would also have to include how raising stuff other than AA UTG makes AA more profitable
Old 06-17-2007, 06:33 PM

when i want to mix things up i raise more hands not less.

as for you limping and then calling a raise...whatever, its not 'terrible' i just dont do it.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:33 PM

Over my last 50k hands I'm 4.53, 1.81, 1.75, 2.23 BB/hand with 22/33/44/55 UTG respectively. Not a particularly huge sample, but that's pretty damn profitable. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM

I think most people in this post are missing the true reason that we raise small pp from early pos.

Lets look at the reason's that raising PF are good...

1) Gives you initiative Post flop i.e.:As the PF raiser you are expected to C-bet into most heads up pots, and quite often you will take down the pot on the flop whether you hit the flop hard or not.

2) It narrows the field: Raising forces out other speculative hands which would weaken your position postflop, and gains you better position in the hand when late position fold there hands.

3)It builds a larger pot for when we actually do hit a monster, thus making it easier for us to get our whole stack in by the river.

4) It disguises our hand: When your raising standards UTG are something like 88+, KQo+,KQs+,AJs+ it becomes fairly easy for someone to put you on a range and take a hand away when it obviously missed you.

This is the most important reason for why we raise small pairs UTG, not to make a ton of money off these hands (though it will be profitable if played correctly postflop) but so villains have a much more difficult time placing us on a correct range and thus our big hands are more disguised.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....because raising low pocket pairs from EP is massively profitable on their own and also increases the value of your big pocket pairs in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at raising low pocket pairs from EP is massively profitable, it's probebly profitably but absolutly not massivly. Care to show me a large PT sample?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would also have to include how raising stuff other than AA UTG makes AA more profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

...do you not understand ranges? A player who limps weak hands and raises only huge hands UTG is extremely easy to put on a very accurate range. And the more accurate a range somebody can put you on, the more mistakes they can induce you to make and the less they can possibly make.

Again, a practical example - you only raise monsters UTG, the BTN is sitting on JJ. He cold calls your UTG raise and plays his hand almost exclusively for set value - he's going to be making alot of profit off you. While if you raise a wider range UTG, it's going to be very difficult for him to play his hand profitably. If he cold calls for set value then he's going to be folding the best hand alot, and if he 3-bets preflop then he's going to be building a big pot with the worse hand pretty often as well.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 'c-bet' does not equal 42.5BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's making zero sense now? What are you even talking about?

Look, you made an unqualified statement. I simply qualified it. The whole "people usually dont have much so be aggressive" is almost always fine when you have position, but OOP it takes certain table conditions to make this approach correct.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping small pairs shorthanded in early position is bad because of one simple reason - most of the time nobody will have a big hand or make a big hand on the flop. The person who shows the most aggression is the person who wins the money in these situations.

Speaking more practically, when you limp small pairs (and other marginal hands) up front you're begging any half decent player in late position to raise you with just about any two cards. At that point it's going to be incredibly difficult to play your hand profitably. He will c-bet the vast majority of flops, and you're going to have to just check/fold the vast majority of the time. Those times you do hit a set you won't usually get sufficiently paid off, and those times you play your unimproved pair for the best hand - it's going to be extremely difficult OOP and without the initiative.

Raise it up preflop and it's all the opposite. You will be the one usually taking it down when everybody misses and if somebody decides to play their hand for the best, you will have the initiative and be able to make situations where they're the ones most likely to make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

See some of us actualy table select.
Most of my tables are filled with donks who go broke with middle pair
Limping early and late here and there is very profitable.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

See some of us actualy table select.
Most of my tables are filled with donks who go broke with middle pair
Limping early and late here and there is very profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

That gives you more reason to raise small PPs from early position. DUCY?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:00 PM

how are u disguising your low pp by limping utg which in fact reeks of a small pp. the reason you raise [censored] like small pocket pairs at these stakes isnt for deception, it's because when you raise, you can win the pot in other ways asides from just having the best hand.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:15 PM

so no one here folds 22-55 utg preflop? I mean of course its situational but for the most part, I mean 22-44 more so no one here agrees? I mean I myself mix up my play so I cant say I always call, always raise, or always fold. But is it really that wrong to fold 22-55 preflop when everyone else is still to act, and you are oop.