Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: questions about hoss\' style

I asked the same thing in the bot thread (how can guys with 46% showdown be winning players) and Victor responded that it was standard (?):

[ QUOTE ]
are you referring to the stats in this thread for the bots? i thought for hu 45-48 wsd is like completely standard?

fwiw i know guys who go to sd 48% in 6way and absolutely crush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked the same thing in the bot thread (how can guys with 46% showdown be winning players) and Victor responded that it was standard (?):

[ QUOTE ]
are you referring to the stats in this thread for the bots? i thought for hu 45-48 wsd is like completely standard?

fwiw i know guys who go to sd 48% in 6way and absolutely crush.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking over some cursory evidence. Anyone who knows this situation, feel free to donate your DB and maybe we can delve further into this issue.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lot of focus on calling down. Bluffing or value betting super thin and getting looked up is going to change your wtsd dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i understand there are other factors that contribute to this stat. i was just commenting on the description of his play in the other thread, which says he basically calls down w/ any pair, even when clearly hopeless. how can this be correct?

as far as bluffing and valueing super light, you may well be right. anyone here sufficiently familiar w/ hoss' style to know what types of plays/bluffs he will make? i bluff a reasonable amount (nothing too fancy normally), but have no idea really if my frequency is too high or low (perhaps low since my wtsd is 35). basically im curious how to best learn such proper frequencies for bluffs, plays, etc, since such material was only artificial in the twoplustwo works i learned the game from (ie bluff if you think the chance he will fold is favorable compared to pot size, etc- okay, but when specifically is this so??). i guess posting hands can help for specific scenarios to have good players give their two cents, but again, this is usually pretty speculative. any thoughts/ideas on how to best learn to play this style w/o just becoming another donk? hopefully chen's book will improve my understanding...
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 AM

Interesting hands with Hoss. I noticed two strange things in the preflop strategy:

1) In one hand CO raises, button 3-bets and Hoss cold-caps 76s in the SB. Any value on this?

2) In other hand Hoss raises in MP and PapaWarbucks 3-bets QTo in the SB. Why 3-bet a hand without showdown value versus a very showdown bound player?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hands with Hoss. I noticed two strange things in the preflop strategy:

1) In one hand CO raises, button 3-bets and Hoss cold-caps 76s in the SB. Any value on this?

2) In other hand Hoss raises in MP and PapaWarbucks 3-bets QTo in the SB. Why 3-bet a hand without showdown value versus a very showdown bound player?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm 1 answers 2.

If he's coldcapping 76s, QTo is looking pretty hot against his preflop range even OOP and has some showdown value against a player like this who is going to make a lot of bluffs/thin value bets.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Short answer, there is value in this play from time to time as your opponents know you will make it and take Q high to SD.

metagame basically.

Remember when we didn't have to worry about metagame? Those were the days.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 PM

I probably should not have just said in one sentence that there was too much focus on calling down. I just don't think that for someone playing for example a 35% wtsd 50-55% wsd calling off more money by making crying calls is the correct response to a low wtsd %. By the same token bluffing off more money is not either but it does open up some opportunities to make you more difficult to deal with at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lot of focus on calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the hands schneids posted and it seems there is calling on the river and elsewhere there is raising.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably should not have just said in one sentence that there was too much focus on calling down. I just don't think that for someone playing for example a 35% wtsd 50-55% wsd calling off more money by making crying calls is the correct response to a low wtsd %. By the same token bluffing off more money is not either but it does open up some opportunities to make you more difficult to deal with at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the hands schneids posted and it seems there is calling on the river and elsewhere there is raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so what do you think the correct first step is in attempting to increase it? and btw, im 35/58, baby!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM

wowowowowowo you run HOT
Old 06-01-2007, 05:23 PM

I don't think I can tell you exactly what you need to do to increase your wtsd%. The reason I mentioned that about calling more is because it is the obvious way to do it but I don't think it combines well with most players overall strategy. At least in my case just making more calldowns didn't work. I increased my wtsd% by increasing my bluffing frequency.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so what do you think the correct first step is in attempting to increase it? and btw, im 35/58, baby!

[/ QUOTE ]