Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical: Life in Prison

"Jails are just schools on how to become a better criminal."

is wrong

the bit about drugs is very true.

come on guys, there's a lot of good papers and such on this stuff, if anyone actually wanted to know stuff they could just read some.

a paper i recently saw presented studied a state (i believe alabama) where parole was eliminated, and the effects on recidivism, and prisoner activity while incarcerated. at the moment the current system basically means people take part in rehabilitating activity only because they know that otherwise they don't get parole, etc.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in particular comments on recidivism, line drawing for things like "since DUIs aren't violent they wouldn't count," and such are all just ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

People make mistakes, do stupid things, and then get caught. A first DUI wouldn't count here, but maybe multiple reoffenders.

[ QUOTE ]
a paper i recently saw presented studied a state (i believe alabama) where parole was eliminated, and the effects on recidivism, and prisoner activity while incarcerated. at the moment the current system basically means people take part in rehabilitating activity only because they know that otherwise they don't get parole, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of the idea.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:21 AM

italian,

i think it's good that someone in criminal justice is trying to think of ways to tweak the system and make it more effective. (if i recall correctly you're a cop, right?) how do you feel about keeping the non-violent offenders - especially small-time guys - out of jail in the first place? do you think it's possible that the quality of rehabilitative programs in the jail has more to do with recidivism than their early-release motivation?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 AM

Yes I am a police officer/cop..whatever you want to call it.

I'm not going to get into the particulars of my opinions of how I do my job, but as far as the non-violent offenders, I find that they usually continue to do what they do no matter what.

Just recently we had 2 brothers get out of jail and within 2 weeks we had 3 burglaries and 1 attempted burglary. I have no idea if it was them, I can only make assumptions.

Money/Fines will not do the trick for these people. Fines are usually necessary for traffic violations, but for things like burglary, disorderly conduct, theft, etc., I have no idea. You hear stories all the time how people have this "life-changing moment" and I think maybe that is what they need the most. These people probably have societal problems, like family problems, drugs, abuse, whatever, and probably don't know how else to live.

Maybe there needs to be more community service type projects, maybe they need something like that where they see poverty, devastation, people in need.

I've never been in jail, I never intend on going there. There are some people who belong there. As soon as some get out, they do something stupid and get put right back in. Most of these people never learn.

I really don't know what the answer is.

As far as rehabilitative programs in jail, I don't know either. They could be seen as a nuisance. Many of these people don't care. Who knows, it may be all an act. Like one poster said, these people just learn how to be better criminals. They learn different techniques. I really don't know.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as rehabilitative programs in jail, I don't know either. They could be seen as a nuisance. Many of these people don't care. Who knows, it may be all an act. Like one poster said, these people just learn how to be better criminals. They learn different techniques. I really don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

rehabilitation programs don't address what caused the problem in the first place. When the prisoner gets out he/she is in the same situation, or more likely worse, than before, which was likely to have something to do with the crimes committed.

The criminal justice part of the equation is pretty much handcuffed by sociology.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All of the things which you quoted as 'facts' are not facts, but beliefs that you have probably formed by watching COPS, eating Doritos and being an ignoramus. Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

lo freakin l

the exchanges between NT and Warick have been priceless.