Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Southwest Airlines is [censored] awesome (warning: seriously aweso

dids, too bad you aren't a fatass anymore. otherwise you could change your location to "in ur left aisle, crashin' ur planes"
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM

IF someone has a medical condition that makes them huge (eg gigantism, quirky thyroid etc..) then the airlines should make accommodations. If someone just can't lay off the burgers, then they are on their own.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IF someone has a medical condition that makes them huge (eg gigantism, quirky thyroid etc..) then the airlines should make accommodations. If someone just can't lay off the burgers, then they are on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]
So medical reviews should be a part of the ticket purchasing process?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They should make arrangements before hand, the way any other special needs customer would.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They should make arrangements before hand, the way any other special needs customer would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you get people saying that obesity is a medical condition and you're back at square one.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you get people saying that obesity is a medical condition and you're back at square one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most obese people don't have a medical condition, but there are a small percentage of obese people who are that way due to an illness. For that small percentage it is a disability, and they should be catered to the same way that other people with disabilities are.

**EDIT**

Obesity is not an illness, but it can be a result of some illnesses.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last year the beginning of the WSOp coincided with a fatass convention of some sort in las vegas, there were 7-8 MORBIDLY obese people on our plane and all but 1 were on the left side of the plane

landing in mccarran the plane kept rolling left on landing and you could feel the pilots fighting to keep the plane level, it would be funnier if it wasn't the most scared i've ever been on a plane in my life

[/ QUOTE ]

A plane like a 737 has a max weight of like 68,000 lbs. Uh yeah an extra few hundred pounds on one side of the fuselage near the center of the plane is going to make a huuuuge difference. It will totally unbalance the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are reasons there are weight restrictions on planes.

I've travelled with hockey teams who were not able to take all their equipment with them on that flight and had to have some of it delivered on the next flight.

All of it would fit just fine. It was just too heavy and they have specific rules about maximum weight.

This is more likely to happen on medium to smaller size planes of course.

7 obese people at 350 lbs apiece on one side of the plane.
Tack on just a couple empty-seats and a couple little kids on the other side of the plane and you've got a pretty significant imbalance and I definitely think this would make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again geeks on the internet think they know everything just because they "figured" it could be a problem.

First, yes there are weight restrictions. All planes have a maximum takeoff weight. But, that wasn't I was challenging. Poster claimed that 7 obese people on one side of aircraft unbalanced the aircraft and caused it to roll to one side.

When balancing a plane, they are specifically talking about maintaining a proper center of gravity - forward to aft. Having heavier people on one side of the aircraft or another doesn't matter, unless they all weighed like 800 lbs and nobody sat on the other side. A plane's balance left to right is easily maintained by the length and weight of it's wings.

On the other hand if they had like 20 obese people all forward and a bunch of kids aft then there would be a problem and they would correct it. Conversely, if you had everyone on the plane sit in the back 10 rows and nobody up front there would also be a problem.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:17 PM

So the fat [censored] get the price of the extra ticket refunded if it turns out there were free seats on the plane.

Suppose there are 2 seats left. Someone buys them for his 2 butt cheeks, and now there are none. Does he still get his money back?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Also, I had no idea they didn't get hassled about this BEFORE check-in etc. This puts the burden on me to bitch about it if I have to sit next to them - but if the plane's full and they or I can't move, what's the point? I'll only be worse off, as I now have to deal with a pissed off at me fatass instead of just a fatass. WTF?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Again geeks on the internet think they know everything just because they "figured" it could be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just speculating and hardly was implying that I knew everything.
Chill.