Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Keyshawn to retire

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: and I'm sure this is why most athletes - particularly football players - become incredible fatasses after they retire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not anymore!

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: Let's not forget, Junior Seau retired too...
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure good QBs do more to make their receivers look good (stats wise) then vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, I was just wondering how big a factor it really is...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is true and I considered it - but a lot of these guys were at least NFL average for starting QBs at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that alot of these guys were average at the time. But he really never played with anyone other than Vinny in 1998 that was a top QB at the time. We can probably say that for alot of receivers though.

What if the Jets took Marvin Harrison at #1 in 1996 and the Colts nabbed Keyshawn? I wonder how much these two players careers would have differed then?

Maybe someone with some knowledge of how big a factor a QB is to their WR's success can chime in. Has FO or someone else studied that at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously if they swapped QBs, Marv's numbers would drop and Key's would increase but I have a hard time believing that it would erase the enormous gap in their production.

Marv has 208 more catches, more than 3000 more yards and 58 more TDs. Keyshawn was a pretty good WR. Marv is an all-time great.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM

according to PFT and WOW

[ QUOTE ]
IS KEYSHAWN ABC'S TIKI?

Michael Silver of Sports Illustrated reports that former NFL receiver Keyshawn Johnson was offered a deal worth $8 million over two years to play for the Tennessee Titans. And rejected it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turned that down? I'm not shocked his services are valued. Maybe a bit shocked at the size of the offer. But I"m shocked he's walking away from this....
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM

No way anybody would be willing to give an aging, underachieving WR on the last legs of his career a multi-million deal.

Keyshawn was a very consistent receiver and did well given the QBs throwing to him. But the expectations for Key were very high and he never really reached them.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM

There is a lot of P.R. [censored] coming out of Keyshawn right now about teams wanting him.

"Those guys were terrific, from Lane Kiffin to Bill Belichick to Jeff Fisher," Johnson said, referring to the coaches in Oakland, New England and Tennessee, respectively. "They all wanted me to play football for them. At the end of the day, it just didn't fit into what I wanted to do now."

Does he really expect us to believe that New England, who has already acquired 4 WRs this offseason, expressed interest and that he turned them down? This sounds like such BS.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he really expect us to believe that New England, who has already acquired 4 WRs this offseason, expressed interest and that he turned them down? This sounds like such BS.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the Patriots signed him and then traded for T.O. the universe might implode.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure good QBs do more to make their receivers look good (stats wise) then vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "vice versa" is dramatically underrated.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is utterly incorrect. A receiver's ability to run accurate routes is one of the key determining factors in whether or not a QB will have success. Look at Eli Manning's struggles in NY for a good example of that. No one on that team is a consistent route runner and it makes life hell for a QB.

Plus QBs get their stats padded by all the RAC yards a good receiver gets them (see Joe Montana's career).

Good receivers get separation from coverage, catch the poorly thrown balls, etc.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is utterly incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you can say either way if one is utterly incorrect.

I've been thinking about a recent example in 2005.

Coles goes back to the Jets and catches like 70 balls. The guy usually catches 85-90. So are you saying that he just ran his routes bad that year? I don't buy that. He had Brooks Bollinger and an off the couch Vinny throwing him pases all year. The very next year Pennington is back and plays 16 games and guess what happens. Coles catches 90 balls again.

I really don't know if you can say emphatically that one is correct or not.