Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Why you lower your raises when the blinds get higher.

I lower them because a lesser raise will have the same effect as a larger raise. In other words, all the hands that would fold to a 3x BB raise would do so to a 2.5x BB raise as well. If you can invest 1 less SB into stealing a pot preflop and still have the same result, then the risk/reward ratio tilts more in your favor.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all the hands that would fold to a 3x BB raise would do so to a 2.5x BB raise as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they won't. I'd say about half the table notices...some even think it's odd. I still do it and think it takes down a lot of pots, but I assure you, some players are going "what is that?"
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM

Although my sample size is small I noticed this too.
When I lowered my opening raise to 2.5xBB at PokerStars I immediately got played back at.

I play a lot at OnGame and I haven't noticed this tendency there. It could have something to do with the terrible software and it's [censored] up bet slider.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM

lowering raise size still commits equity to the pot and the smaller the raise the smaller the pot the less likely villian wants to shove on you etc. sometimes i can get a vibe off raise size tells more in proportions to the players stack than the blind level imo. usually deeper in tournaments i tend to open less and 3bet more since everyone is stealing from every position nowadays (i.e. button steal, utg steal, etc.).
Old 05-22-2007, 08:46 AM

i think you should mix it.I always raise 3x BB at the FTs @ 4/180 because i am an extreme aggro donk, but i think mixing it up its pretty good.Effective its like you raise 2.75, which is still lowering your cost a bit and on the other hand you can raise your premiums to 2,5 if there is the tendancy to get play back at
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although my sample size is small I noticed this too.
When I lowered my opening raise to 2.5xBB at PokerStars I immediately got played back at.

I play a lot at OnGame and I haven't noticed this tendency there. It could have something to do with the terrible software and it's [censored] up bet slider.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same on Crypto. Raising 2-3x makes no difference to the action you get. People will play if they play.

On Stars, I generally have a set raise size for each level but that might vary depending on how much I raise the first hand that level and why. 2-3x.

At the end, I'll vary my raises more for all sorts of reasons.

FWIW, I don't mind people playing back at me or calling out of the blinds. I've got position and impetus and they have defined their hand to some degree.