Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Is this offensive, or are they just over compensation-reactions?

[ QUOTE ]
because it's human nature for a lot of people to have prejudices against a certain race or ethnicity,

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no.

and it looks like this might be your thesis statement? so, no to the rest too. (i didn't read it though.)
Old 05-20-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because it's human nature for a lot of people to have prejudices against a certain race or ethnicity,

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no.

and it looks like this might be your thesis statement? so, no to the rest too. (i didn't read it though.)

[/ QUOTE ]

So from your statement I can accurately extrapolate that you don't feel that there is much racism in the world today, and that as a species human beings haven't shown themselves to be predisposed to prejudice in the last 2000 years.

Um, no.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone begins by talking about how bad the racism is that still exists in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

These people really give me a case of the ass. Disrespecting a person because of their race is racism. Treating them unfairly, making them live differently, denying their rights, etc. because of their race is racism.
Sorry, calling a person by their race is not. Even if it is calling someone an idiot. One may be wrong, but it is not racist.
I grew up in the 50's and I saw what racism was. These people don't have a clue.
The whiny pc people with their "racism" and their "offensive" this and that make me want to just slap some sense into them.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:05 AM

dude ure racist to some extent - just like everyone else in this country... hell - i'm probably one of the most racist people out there... just come to terms with it and know that other people are in the same boat as you. Someone that tells you they are not racist at all is probably lying.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 AM

I have grown to be really racist against white people (I'm white [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]).

Then again, maybe I'm just a misanthrope.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude ure racist to some extent - just like everyone else in this country... hell - i'm probably one of the most racist people out there... just come to terms with it and know that other people are in the same boat as you. Someone that tells you they are not racist at all is probably lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a genius, well thought-out post there.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, "The way I like English to be spoken." WTF, did you invent it? They probably don't like the way you talk either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take issue with this. Tx didn't invent the English language, but there are rules to speaking it. Most/all people deviate from correct grammar and syntax to varying degrees. That does not mean there is not a correct way.

Is it your opinion, NT!, that the speech you would expect to hear from a high school English teacher should be regarded as no better than what you would hear listening to an illiterate redneck? Apologies if I'm putting words in your mouth, but you seem to be indicating that one doesn't have the right to judge others' use or misuse of the English language.

Edit: And I'm not trying to suggest that everyone must conform and begin speaking perfect English. I know I don't. But there is a point when people's speech deviates so far from "correct" that they become difficult to understand, and reveal themselves to be generally pretty dumb. I don't think that kind of speech should be regarded as no less correct than what we might define as traditionally proper speech.

Edit 2: Deleted reference to Zeebo's post.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:32 AM

I agree with the OP pretty much completely. There are definately built-in qualities in us humans that dispose us to racism. While I think we can learn to get rid of it (the only way is if the globe or parts of it truly become multi-cultural and that'll take a long time) it's definately something that's closely related to our nature.

Some people are too PC, there's no denying that. One of the signs of a truly multi-cultural enviroment would be that you would be allowed to make fun of everybody on the same terms. Unfortunately some people are over-sensitive because they have experienced/heard real racists use language that's kind of similar. Of course there's a difference whether you criticize person for their skin color or by their personal attributes but sometimes people have difficulties separating the difference from your words. And that's also a human attribute and a process that we have go through before racism really becomes marginalized in whatever society you live in.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Case and point.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's petty funny you think that Indians have poor English, they actually usually have very good English just with an Indian accent, though if they outsourced MS support service to Scotland and you couldn't understand their accent you'd probably assume they had poor English.

I disagree with most of what you have to say and I wouldn't bother to reply to the rest of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this (because shottish people cant speak english properly), but if they were in scotland I could call them a scottish [censored] and noone would say squat but if you said the same about an indian then you'd be racist because they have different skin colour. PC [censored] annoys me a lot.