Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: do phone chargers use electricity when plugged into wall but not p

[ QUOTE ]
A really basic rule is that if there is a transformer converting alternating current (normal mains power) to direct current (virtually any electronic device), it will draw power regardless of whether the item in question is on or off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll say it again. A transformer with an open secondary draws a very small amount of current (hell a cell phone charger doesn't draw very much when it's actually charging) It is not even close to correct that it draws as much when it's plugged in but not charging as it does when it is charging. The inductive reactance and low resistance of the primary circuit limits the power used to a very low level.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a hassle to save about $80/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just guessing, but I think your savings will be closer to $8 a year than $80.

[/ QUOTE ]just went by the web site that recommended using surge protectors for basically every electronic equipment in your house and turning the surge protectors on and off after each use.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM

On one of Oprah's green specials an expert said that most electronic appliances still draw about 60% power when turned off. There is a smart strip you can buy which will disconnect power from everything plugged into it when the TV is turned off.

I expect that sometime in the near future it'll be mandatory to design these products to draw no power when in the off position. If they really do still use 60% it would be a sin not to.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a hassle to save about $80/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just guessing, but I think your savings will be closer to $8 a year than $80.

[/ QUOTE ]just went by the web site that recommended using surge protectors for basically every electronic equipment in your house and turning the surge protectors on and off after each use.

[/ QUOTE ]

that site is paid for by the power strip companies obviously
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Using a surge protector for things like a tv sounds crazy seeing as you'd have to go through the entire channel search every time you turned it on.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Using a surge protector for things like a tv sounds crazy seeing as you'd have to go through the entire channel search every time you turned it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the epitome of pampered Americans not willing to make the required sacrifices to help fight global warming. Don't get me wrong, I don't unplug my receiver for the same reason but to some guy living in a hut in Africa we have to look pretty damned pampered.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM

The cheapest way to make a wall adapter, (external power supply), is to use a transformer. A transformer is always "on" when plugged in hence the heat you feel. As long as you don't need especiallly clean power, this has been the norm for most electronics.

The California Energy Commission adopted new standards that went into effect in July 2006 that require, "maximum no-load consumption of half-watt from all ESP's that deliver less than 10W."

This basically means that manufacturers had to change their designs to switching power supplies, which are essentially "off" when plugged in and not in use.

No one wants to make two models, one to sell in California, and one for the rest of the US, so manufacturers are making the change for all their products sold in the US.

Link here,

If your phone charger was sold after July 2006, chances are it uses very little electricity when plugged in.

The Poker Mom
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the epitome of pampered Americans not willing to make the required sacrifices to help fight global warming. Don't get me wrong, I don't unplug my receiver for the same reason but to some guy living in a hut in Africa we have to look pretty damned pampered.

[/ QUOTE ]

The time that I would waste waiting 5 min for the tv to cycle up the channels, and the power wasted doing so are worth way more then the few cents it costs to have it plugged in all the time. The fact that I choose not to donate those extra cents/time to the poor in africa is what make me a pampered american prick.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ROFL
Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 AM

If you leave an XBOX plugged in, but off, it will remember the time and date. If you unplug it you'll have to reset the time and date.