Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Prs to be making me less broke? Financial Follies

you seriously need to ask some big questions about your life. Why on earth do you just want to float by? It's time to grow up and think about getting a career. try monster.com too. I mean if you haven't even done that, then you don't really want to solve anything and just want some pity.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Freerolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you seriously need to ask some big questions about your life. Why on earth do you just want to float by? It's time to grow up and think about getting a career. try monster.com too. I mean if you haven't even done that, then you don't really want to solve anything and just want some pity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quote from Mr. George Orwell -

"The feeling, 'This is what I came into the world to do. Everything else is uninteresting. I will do this even if it means starvation', which turns men of differing temperaments into scientists, inventors, artists, priests,explorers and revolutionaries - this motif is almost entirely absent..."

He's describing the works of Dickens, but the comment applies equally well to my own life. I am as ignorant of this feeling as a virgin.

I went to school because that's what I was raised to do, and chose history because it was my primary intellectual interest. I had no notion of a career, and my interest in continuing with academia was killed with one meeting for aspirant graduate students.

For the most part, since then, my only work-related goals have been negative - to be the sole caretaker of my own time and interests, and work for no-one, be regimented by no-one, and do what I like, when I like. With the coming of busto that is of course impossible.

Of course I want to solve things, but strictly in the short-term. As far as the further future goes, I really have no better ideas than to get back to what I was doing as soon as possible.

What's your purpose, Zeebs?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:11 PM

First sell the car if it's worth more than you owe on it. If it's not, you should still try to get rid of it if you can scrape up the difference - $15k of car debt when you are broke is ridiculous. If you are staying in the city, try to bus it everywhere. If you aren't, buy a beater civic or corolla for like $500, get AAA in case you get stranded, and just never put any money into it.

Then get a job doing temp office work - go through a company like Kelly Services. If you are reasonably proficient with a computer, can touch-type, and have a "business casual" wardrobe, you should easily be able to get temp work paying ~$10/hr. Since you are good with people, you should be able to make friends with the people at the temp place and they'll give you as many hours as you need. The work will range from mind-numbing data-entry to literally being paid to sit at a desk and read a book all day.

Then pay off the credit card debt as quickly as possible and pay off the student loans as slowly as possible (without defaulting, of course). If you are living with your friends rent-free, be a *really* good guest and do way more than your share of cleaning and cooking and such. Also offer to pay for smaller expenses like occasionally buying all the groceries and such - it'll still be way cheaper than paying your own rent. This way they won't mind you living with them for a while and you can get your expenses down to nearly 0.

You should be back on your feet in no time.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:59 PM

If you have federal student loans and haven't already done so, consider asking them for a hardship deferral. Unemployment should be a good enough reason. The thing that sucks is that they might want a fee to take your request (they did for me).
Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the least attractive option in the history of the universe, but you could pick up a job that pays for [censored] but covers all your overhead. Cruise ships, lodges, etc. Would be a [censored] few months, but at least you'd come out of it with some cash.

Edit: I missed the debt part. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] How do you feel about people trying to kill you in various deserts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cruise ships are actually a pretty good way to make money. Your food etc is taken care of, so your expenses are extremely minimal. You don't need much of a permanent place besides a pillow to park your head a few days a month; most of your time is at sea. People can save up like 30k a year even at the lowly jobs doing this, which is pretty major.

A lot of people really like it too. The work can be hard though.

I get this from friends who have done this before.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Be part of an autofold team to qualify for the bonus hands on pokerstars = profit.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably the least attractive option in the history of the universe, but you could pick up a job that pays for [censored] but covers all your overhead. Cruise ships, lodges, etc. Would be a [censored] few months, but at least you'd come out of it with some cash.

Edit: I missed the debt part. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] How do you feel about people trying to kill you in various deserts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cruise ships are actually a pretty good way to make money. Your food etc is taken care of, so your expenses are extremely minimal. You don't need much of a permanent place besides a pillow to park your head a few days a month; most of your time is at sea. People can save up like 30k a year even at the lowly jobs doing this, which is pretty major.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], I was about to post this. Learn to dance and then become a dance host on cruise ships.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], I was about to post this. Learn to dance and then become a dance host on cruise ships.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was thinking of dealing on a cruise ship, but that would likely require some certification, or some creative resume embellishment. My sister suggested this some time ago.

I, um, do not dance.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Oh, I forgot. [censored] up knees or ankle or something, right?