Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: What\'s your table image?...And is mine a problem?

Yeah I mean it has to work with your personality, don't do something uncomfortable for you. That said in your spot I'd just agree with him and then make a joke "yeah aces, I always have aces when I see the flop so watch out! Me and dealer chop chop in parking lot".

-DeathDonkey
Old 05-20-2007, 09:51 AM

I think it was Mike Caro who said if you make a lot of noise when you're in a hand, they'll think you play every hand.

I tend to follow his advice closely, but then I'm a rather noisy fellow.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing at my normal 5/10 limit game the other day and 10 minutes into the game I am on the button with AKs. I do what I normally do and raise. The big blind is a dealer I know his name but haven't played him before even though he apparently knows me and my image.

He raises me and I immediately reraise. We end up capping it. the flop comes K high rainbow. He checks and I bet.

He flips out and folds face up saying "anything but a king!!" I look down and there are two Aces staring back. I think about it for a second, and turn my hand faceup. "Oh" he says "I thought you flopped a set, the way you played preflop" WTF

[/ QUOTE ]
Why flip your cards up? You made a standard play and you got credit for the nuts. You got a better hand to fold. Because you turned your cards up that is less likely to happen again at this session - or with this player in the future.

True it was a crazy fold because you raised on the button and he should have given you credit for a wide range of hands - which makes him a very bad player who thinks you are tighter than a nun's rectum. Don't squander that advantage just to show off at the table.

I generally look at my image as a session to session thing. Perhaps half of the players at Foxwoods 10/20 LHE won't know me. The other half are usually more influenced by recent results anyway. Some don't even really remember me. But know your opponents!!! At 4/8 this shouldn't be an issue but as you move up, your image - whatever it is - should be a factor in your decisions against astute opponents.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing at my normal 5/10 limit game the other day and 10 minutes into the game I am on the button with AKs. I do what I normally do and raise. The big blind is a dealer I know his name but haven't played him before even though he apparently knows me and my image.

He raises me and I immediately reraise. We end up capping it. the flop comes K high rainbow. He checks and I bet.

He flips out and folds face up saying "anything but a king!!" I look down and there are two Aces staring back. I think about it for a second, and turn my hand faceup. "Oh" he says "I thought you flopped a set, the way you played preflop" WTF

This is the latest example from people who actually pay attention (usually against dealers & a few regulars). Luckily, not too many people pay attention. But my question is am I leaving money on the table with this kind of image, or should I stay tight. I can sometimes go an hour between playing hands, sometimes people notice, sometimes not.

Also, what is your image? Is is what you want it to be? Do you actively cultivate it, or do you even worry about it? Thanks for the help guys, I am learning alot from you all.

my two scents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding with an overpair on that flop is sick. Table image can be formed, but sometimes the cards dealt do the shaping. Tight image in a tight game doesnt sound like fun. What range of hands are you willing to play? My limit game could use some work. I will play most coordinated cards to the flop, folding if nothing interesting comes up.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's another great result for you. He was getting 7-1 odds to beat you with an ace, and he folded. These people seem to be completely intimidated by you and they're making terrible plays as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this - wouldn't it be right to fold his AQ if he knew you had Kings? AQo only has about 28% equity vs KK, and that is only if he will chase the ace until the river if it doesn't flop. I really don't think he has the odds to call just in hopes an Ace will flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Counting the blinds, he was actually getting about 8.5 to 1.
Given hands of AQ and KK, an Ace will flop 17.96% of the time, or 1 in 5.57 times. Where do you think the 28% equity comes from, just the turn and river cards?
Yes, his opponent had pot odds to call and hope an Ace flops.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:03 PM

OK, sounds like you checked this out more closely than I did (wasn't thinking of there being that much money in the pot either). What if the instareraise made him accurately put heron on a range of AA, KK or AK though? Then would he be correct to fold? I know having an ace makes hero less likely to have AK or AA, but my instinct still tells me he would be right to fold.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 AM

people always like to give me advice. Also i ask questions alot anout the food and the jackpot sometimes.

Its funny really how many people like tot ell me how to play. amybe its cuz i come off as a nice guy and try to be friendly and look young.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 AM

I end up with a tight table image. It can't be helped. When mostly everyone calls with 10-9 up and any two suited its difficult to stay camoflaged from observant players.
That's fine, though. I preflop raise, there will be callers despite my image, who will invariable play hit to win. I bet whether I make or miss the flop, and I'm mostly given credit for made hands, regardless. If the flop comes high, they think I hit. If it comes low, and I bet, they think I've got 10-10 or better. I play aggressively after the flop, and make that known, so I am pretty confident that whenever someone plays back I am behind. I then fold. I show very few hands, compared to the other players, and I always tell them I had a made hand. Most people associate pre-flop tightness with cheapness or timidity so they think you don't bluff, and you get credit for hands you shouldn't.

If I do get caught with my hand in the cookie jar (a very rare event) I will stop the bet any hand routine for about a hour and we go back to the same script.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Profit.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 AM

my image is tight, always is and always will be. Makes for great stealing opportunities against observant players.

Pretty much the same MO as EHG.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, sounds like you checked this out more closely than I did (wasn't thinking of there being that much money in the pot either). What if the instareraise made him accurately put heron on a range of AA, KK or AK though? Then would he be correct to fold? I know having an ace makes hero less likely to have AK or AA, but my instinct still tells me he would be right to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting someone on exactly KK and then folding this pot is absolute sheer insanity in LHE. This is the button and BB. The typical hand range is much broader. I would certainly pop you back preflop with 10/10 plus in either position and I am stone cold tight- tight.

Post flop, I have Aces on a K high Board. I think I'm ahead, regardless. Sounds like somebody is awfully pessimistic. Yeah, he may have KK, but he may have AK or less, and this is a big pot. Folding is a big mistake.