Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: The Flop

WA/WB. I like a call here. You're obviously not folding, and a raise opens you up to a 3-bet AI that you'd have a hard time calling.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME Hand

Flop.

[ QUOTE ]
"call obv, I hope this hand gets interesting etc...."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BB leads for 1 K.

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]Call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM

call?

You just hit exactly what you want on a dry board

Not sure what the arguments for a call are but I bet this every time ... where I have difficulty is in gauging size

$2250
Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
 is offline

That's a great flop for us. I'm pretty much always calling here planning to check behind on the turn and call a river bet. It only starts to get a little hairy if he fires on the turn again, but I'm pretty much always calling that as well and then making my huge decision on the river (I can't imagine he fires on the river without AK/AA/KK/88), so I'm pretty sure I'm folding to a final strong river lead.

Raising this flop seems dumb. He folds his TT/JJ/QQ, which he might fire again on the turn. There's really no draw we're afraid and we have to fold if he 3-bets our raise anyway. Calling this flop seems like standard pot control to me.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty easy PF decision.

I called obv. We both have about 10.5K behind.

I'll leave the flop decision up longer before posting again.

Flop (1225) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB leads for 1 K.

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good flop for us. We most likely have him crushed now - or on rare occassions he had us crushed to begin with. I can't see any value to a raise. He should dump most everything you beat - or call and check / fold most turns when behind.

Let's call. It would be reasonable to assume that he considers our opening range was quite wide. This board is decent if we were holding hands like just about any pocket pair (disregard 88 or 22 obv) that is less than KK // or KQ - 10. I feel it would be reasonable for you to open with such hands - and it would be reasonable for the villain to assume that you can be taken off such holdings as a result of further pressure through the streets.

The majority of players auto - cont bet these days. As such, he should expect you to know that a lead from him was coming. And, as such - it would not be unexpected for you to call it in position with a large portion of your pre - flop raising range.

If you flatcall here - I think you underepresent your hand and provide him with leighway to shoot again on the turn - and make a big mistake with Kx.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a great flop for us. I'm pretty much always calling here planning to check behind on the turn and call a river bet. It only starts to get a little hairy if he fires on the turn again, but I'm pretty much always calling that as well and then making my huge decision on the river (I can't imagine he fires on the river without AK/AA/KK/88), so I'm pretty sure I'm folding to a final strong river lead.

Raising this flop seems dumb. He folds his TT/JJ/QQ, which he might fire again on the turn. There's really no draw we're afraid and we have to fold if he 3-bets our raise anyway. Calling this flop seems like standard pot control to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

That is so clear ... *revelation*
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call?

Not sure what the arguments for a call are but I bet this every time ... where I have difficulty is in gauging size

$2250

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the end of my working week in 3 minutes so I'm somewhat tempted to be contrary and make a case for a raise. But, on such a perfect flop, we're generally raising for value and you have to ask yourself what worse hand calls a raise after flat-calling a pf three-bet and being bet into on this flop. KQ and that's about it. Everything else in his range, except sets and AA folds if we rr the flop.

The case for raising would be if we were working on multiple levels where villain would never expect us to reraise AK here for value and thus doesn't believe us but as hero and villain are randoms passing in the night, it seems better to get value by calling, suggesting that we can perhaps be knocked off KJs or a stubborn TT.

[ QUOTE ]
call?

$2250

[/ QUOTE ]

Because no worse hand is calling and no better hand is folding.. I like a call, since we will keep the pot small if he has us beat, and if we have him beat he does'nt have more then 2 outs

[ QUOTE ]
call?

$2250

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? He's taking the initiative right now, there aren't any draws on the board, and we have position to make sure there's a bet on the turn if we want it. If he wants to bet into us, why would we do anything but let him? On the turn if some kind of scare card comes you can re-evaluate, but as it stands he's building the pot fast enough to get chips in if you choose to do so.

Put it this way, if you had raised something like TT-QQ pre-flop originally, what would you be doing here? Certainly not raising, and there's really no reason to raise with TPTK here I don't think.

No one with a worse hand is stacking off to you if you raise here, they may if you continue the hand. Also you're getting looked up by a better hand every time by raising the flop.