Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: How do I get rid of mice from under my deck?

get a cat. Cage him under there. I am sure a hungry cat will get to all the mice.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Go to your local hardware store and buy some electronic mouse repellers. It'll send out ultrasonic sound waves (think dog whistle) which'll annoy them critters, and they'll find somewhere else to live.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Am I the only one who thought this thread was titled "How do I get rid of mice from under my desk"?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thought this thread was titled "How do I get rid of mice from under my desk"?

[/ QUOTE ]
actually I avoided reading this thread a few times because I thought that was the title.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oil of peppermint.

Very good chance you have over 50 mice under that deck. Almost impossible that they are not in the house also. Set traps in the house to find out. Then go about sealing the house. This sounds easier than it is. Recently I was replacing a friends deck and under the deck there was a basement window. Well this window was not installed right and the top of it had over a 2 inch gap where mice or whatever could enter. The person nearly flipped when I showed them. It had been this way for 15 years and they wondered why they could never fix the mice problem. You have to look everywhere to be sure they are not able to get in. They can fit through a 1/2 inch crack or a hole the size of a quarter. And you have to seal the holes with steel wool or cement they just chew through everything else. You probably won't ever get them all out of the deck for good regardless what you do. Just use the oil of peppermint in the summer when you are out on the deck the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are scaring me! I am a man, but am afraid of a mouse! What is oil of peppermint? Some kind of oil that I would smear on the sides of the deck?

I kinda want to set a mouse trap now but I'm afraid of catching one in the house. I'd be afraid to touch the carcass to dispose of it and I'd want to move out of the house. I assume that if there were mice in the house, they'd be in the kitchen every nite. When I was a little kid we had mice and that's where I would here them and they'd leave mouse [censored] in the cupboards. I have yet to see or hear anything and I play poker on my laptop in the kitchen everynite.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to your local hardware store and buy some electronic mouse repellers. It'll send out ultrasonic sound waves (think dog whistle) which'll annoy them critters, and they'll find somewhere else to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard of this. Does anyone know if they work well?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard of this. Does anyone know if they work well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they kinda work. They do make a noise that bugs the mice. It actually damages their nervous system if I recall correctly. The thing is if there is food for the getting the mice will still come even if the noise bugs them. Then you just have fat mice with a fried central nervous system. lol

1. Remove what is attracting the mice. Food that they can get into.

2. Seal the places they can get in the house.

3. Make it a place they dislike just in case they get in. They don't like the smell of oil of peppermint and they don't like the sound of those emitters.

4. Have traps set so you know when they are around. You are right you might see droppings and hear them. But that usually means you have tons of them. A few mice can go undetected if you ask me.

You can buy oil of peppermint at a health food store. It might not work outdoors and it won't even work indoors if there is food around for them. Here is something funny I found while reading about this.

[ QUOTE ]
I have read the different means of Getting rid of Mice.
Here's the one that does it the organic way.
Peel an Onion in four parts and place it 4" underground
(Root side UP). The gases produced underground will drive
away the mice, insects incl. Ants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds impossible but easy enough to test. I have ants in my lawn so I might try this. You would need to get under that deck tho and dig several holes in different places. It sounds like the deck is low so you have to take off a few deck boards and then replace them after.

If you don't like seeing dead mice get the battery powered type. It has a tunnel and the mice go in and zap! Then a light outside of it turns color to tell you it is um full. You can then get your wife to empty it or throw out the whole trap if you really hate seeing them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]