Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Stop, (blind) thief!

[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on how in-tempo you are. I bet in tempo, and if I realize I faltered, I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very good point. also, dd made a point about the pot being too small. it is exactly this size pot i like stealing because a lot of live players don't feel like they are worth fighting for. i mean, he's going to be pretty hard pressed to call with a T given the nasty turn-river combo.

obviously this is player dependent too, but if i am joker, that is a conservative looking white guy who never wears sunglasses when playing poker, and villain seems to have some sort of respect for me, i think this is an easy bet.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:43 AM

Honestly I think I would bet here and I think it's a mistake. Against me the problem is that everyone knows that all I do is bet bet bet bet bet bet bet bet all night once I play a hand so there is no way they will give me credit for having a Q here. This isn't very far from the truth either because a lot of people will fold an A on this turn card for me if they didn't already fold on that sorta bad flop for AX so I am likely to try again.

He might fold a 9 but that's about it IMO. If it turns out he is the type to make expert laydowns like a J or T here then this is good.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:17 AM

This is a pretty easy bet IMO. I think you buy a lot of credibility with your turn check.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on how in-tempo you are. I bet in tempo, and if I realize I faltered, I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very good point. also, dd made a point about the pot being too small. it is exactly this size pot i like stealing because a lot of live players don't feel like they are worth fighting for. i mean, he's going to be pretty hard pressed to call with a T given the nasty turn-river combo.

obviously this is player dependent too, but if i am joker, that is a conservative looking white guy who never wears sunglasses when playing poker, and villain seems to have some sort of respect for me, i think this is an easy bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, for those who know me and have played live with me, my hands shake constantly. So I bet this for sure. White guy, conservative looking, usually sipping on Scotch with hands shaking while he looks up, cuts 7 chips, realizes he can't cut chips worth a damn then restacks then and puts one more on top.

Gets 'em every time.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i am joker, that is a conservative looking white guy who never wears sunglasses when playing poker, and villain seems to have some sort of respect for me, i think this is an easy bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I tried wearing sunglasses the other day after our conversation. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I felt like an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 AM

wow people fold pairs in that spot???
Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty easy bet IMO. I think you buy a lot of credibility with your turn check.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY. I wish I said that the first time but I was too stupid to. Checking the turn makes it look a lot like you were taking a free card to hit some type of draw (which you were). This is a very good spot to represent the straight, or depending on your image top pair.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i am joker, that is a conservative looking white guy who never wears sunglasses when playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

And here this whole time I was always picturing Mos Def. Samsonite! I was way off!

I have never played 20/40 in Cali, but I would check behind on the river.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM

I have just a general question since players differ on this. Why do we raise, and thus limit the number of players, with great drawing hands like QJ suited, which gain value with more players in the pot?

I also don't understand the subject line, "Stop (blind) thief". I thought this was going to be a thread on blind defense.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have just a general question since players differ on this. Why do we raise, and thus limit the number of players, with great drawing hands like QJ suited, which gain value with more players in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because open-limping is for a-holes, and if there's already one limper in the pot I want to isolate them if I can -- because they suck and I want their money. And worst case scenario, at the games I play, I'll get 3-4 cold-callers which isn't even a bad scenario at all with a good multiway hand like QJs, but if it's just heads up, I have intiative since I raised, so he has to hit the flop to stick around.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't understand the subject line, "Stop (blind) thief". I thought this was going to be a thread on blind defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I was the blind thief. And he stopped me.... or did he?