Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: XM radio suspends O&A for 30 days

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You think anyone listening to OandA on a regular basis is outraged by this? It may be a business decision but it is a stupid one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people that listen don't give a rat's ass. It's the negative pub they are trying to offset here. Hard to say it's stupid without knowing exactly what the decision process was in making it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There would have been no publicity whatsoever if they didnt suspend them or make them apologize. I dont listen to oa, the only reason I heard about it was becuase of the ruckus the corporation caused. Its not a free speech thing, and there are standards and practices, but things are going too far int eh wrong way imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

XM caters to a large variety of people as does Sirius which will be taking over XM. Best I can figure is that they were trying to nip this in the bud before the conservative listeners (which I bet is the largest portion of their subscribers) decide they don't want to give a company like XM 13 bucks a month or whatever it is now. Heck, who knows, they may have suspended them to generate more publicity. Doubtful but like I said I have no idea what the decision process was in this case but in XM's mind it was +EV for whatever reason.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM

The conspiracy theorists are out in force over this, saying that this is all to smooth the Sirius/XM merger, that Karmazin/Stern are behind the whole thing, etc. I wouldn't go that far, but when interviewed after the merger announcement, Mel Karmazin did state that he had no desire to share talent with terrestrial radio...so who knows.

It did seem like they were waiting for the first hint of a slip-up to dump them, and the one they picked was real weaksauce, as it wasn't even O&A that said anything.

For the fans out there, just to reiterate the advice being given on various O&A boards...if you want to give them the best chance of actually being reinstated in 30 days, call XM and cancel your subscription...don't just take the free month or whatever the rep offers you, as it won't hurt their books as much as losing a sub altogether (even if you plan on resubscribing if/when they come back).
Old 05-16-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was offered a free month, followed by a free 3 months when i called to cancel today.

[/ QUOTE ]
A free month followed by three free months. Why didn't they just offer you four months? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Let's review:

1) XM has every right to suspend their talent if they want, this is a private business not govt censorship.

2) You have every right to call and cancel your subscription because of this.

3) The world would be a much better place if all shock jocks and morning zoo crews were rounded up and dumped in a live volcano.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i was offered a free month, followed by a free 3 months when i called to cancel today.

[/ QUOTE ]
A free month followed by three free months. Why didn't they just offer you four months? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because after each offer i said no within a half second.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) The world would be a much better place if all shock jocks and morning zoo crews were rounded up and dumped in a live volcano.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be cruel to the volcano
Old 05-17-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's review:

1) XM has every right to suspend their talent if they want, this is a private business not govt censorship.

2) You have every right to call and cancel your subscription because of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go to Jerry Falwell's funeral?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:12 PM

who cares maybe they'll stop biting off stern finally and learn to create their own format and maybe they won't get fired from every radio station they have ever been at, originality can buy you a lot of grace, but come on these guys have always been bad stern knock offs and i'm not a big fan of either but its so obv
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just an excuse to get rid of a couple of untalented hacks that hardly anybody listens to. Similar to MSNBC dropping Imus as soon as they could. They wanted to dump his show for a long time, but had to wait for him to give them a good excuse without having to pay off his contract.

O&A were hired by XM and then went back and took a gig on normal FM. XM is in competition with FM and I can't imagine that move endeared them to XM. You'll notice that CBS didn't suspend or cancel their show.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is all, collectively, really braindead. Imus had just signed a new contract, like four months before his dismissal. That's why he's suing CBS for $40 mil. So if he had just signed a contract with CBS, you don't think he also negotiated his contract with MSNBC? Dummy.

And the thing with XM and CBS is equally nonsensical. They brokered a deal to be on both satellite and terrestrial. Obviously XM had to agree to the terms of the contract. But you think they're resentful for it... Again, you're a dummy. Just stop contributing please.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who cares maybe they'll stop biting off stern finally and learn to create their own format and maybe they won't get fired from every radio station they have ever been at, originality can buy you a lot of grace, but come on these guys have always been bad stern knock offs and i'm not a big fan of either but its so obv

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

I used to be a big fan of Opie and Anthony. Lately, not as much. I think they're a little boring and tired - like Stern. But the shows are completely different. O+A have bitten off Stern as much as the Sopranos bit off Goodfellas or any punk band "bites off" another. People who claim they are "copycats" have trouble thinking through matters logically and objectively.