Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Retire Early?

[ QUOTE ]
(yes, the house appreciates, but that is an illiquid part of your net worth that you can't live off of).

[/ QUOTE ]

Houses don't appreciate more than inflation over time. And while you save on paying rent, you have to pay for maintenance and property taxes. I strongly believe most people are much better off investing that money and renting a place only as big as they need. Of course this is another debate entirely, but the appreciation of houses over time isn't. They just don't gain any more value than the inflation rate over time.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(yes, the house appreciates, but that is an illiquid part of your net worth that you can't live off of).

[/ QUOTE ]

Houses don't appreciate more than inflation over time. And while you save on paying rent, you have to pay for maintenance and property taxes. I strongly believe most people are much better off investing that money and renting a place only as big as they need. Of course this is an entirely other debate, but the appreciation of houses over time isn't. They just don't gain any more value than the inflation rate over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm aware that real estate doesn't beat inflation, but as you say, that is another debate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

While I'm at it, I might as well go out on a limb and say that all of you who think it's "easy" to earn 10% in real returns are idiots. After inflation, taxes, and more taxes, even 5% is probably on the high side.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall OP, a safe number to retire is probably something around $2mil+, with $3mil being much more on the comfortable side.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just broke this thread wide open!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Ya my house is already paid for, pretty nice house in a suburb..

Prolly need at least 100k a year to live off (To still go on those vacations etc) The part that sucks is, I grind out my career job knowing I will be making more than twice that on my interst \ investments (very soon i hope once I get it invested).

It's the secruity that keeps me at my day job for now. The health insurance to.. Until I figure out how much is enough and when its time to leave and what to invest in.

Thanks for all the responses though.. much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM

If I were (as lucky as) you, I would quit and get a job that I enjoyed. Maybe part time, maybe full time. This way you can supplement your investment, have a sense of security, and enjoy your life a lot more.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were (as lucky as) you, I would quit and get a job that I enjoyed. Maybe part time, maybe full time. This way you can supplement your investment, have a sense of security, and enjoy your life a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you semi-ballers dont enjoy your job?