Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: How does Venetian Deep Stack Ex. compare to regular Venetian tourn

[ QUOTE ]
Hell yeah I'd chose either V or Binions tournaments. The value is unbeaten, but you won't have the prize pools of 5k events. These are the more "value" priced tournaments this year, and so far looks like the best summer in Vegas for tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best summer for options, but in reality it might be the worst summer in modern history for tournaments. Time will tel if having this many competing options provided is good or bad for poker. My guess is bad, but I'm not willing to back up my beliefs yet.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Has anyone noticed the print at the bottom of the Deep Stack Ex. pdf flyer were it says play will go untill the final table or 2am and then continue at 4pm? Could one of you locals verify with the Venetian if these are going to be finished on a second day? Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 PM

They are going to play until 2 am. Then they WILL come back the next day to play the final table. That is at 4 pm. they are trying to eliminate some of the marathon days...
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Thank you
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell yeah I'd chose either V or Binions tournaments. The value is unbeaten, but you won't have the prize pools of 5k events. These are the more "value" priced touranments this year, and so far looks like the best summer in Vegas for tournaments. Then a month later you have one of my old favorites, the Orleans Open. 10th place in the Stud 8 event for me last year and I hope to be able to play 2 or 3 events here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff. I think I'm leaning more towards these than the smaller WSOP ones. Thanks for the heads up and info, fellas.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems as though these give a ton more play than the smaller buy-in WSOP events. If you had to choose, would y'all choose these?

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the oddities of Vegas having really good regular daily tourneys now is that the special events ain't very special anymore. I blew a few $grand on WSOP and WPT $2K and $3K sorta events a couple years ago. I would much rather play 10 $300 events than one $3000 event, but basically the small WPT and WSOP events were the only way to get to play a tourney with anything resembling a playable structure. But things have indeed changed.

Consider last year's $2000 WSOP events... T2000 starting and in 2 hours the blinds hit 100/200, so if you've just protected your stack to that point you're out of maneuvering room at 120 minutes. 120 minutes into Caesars normal noon tourney for $130 my starting T4500 is facing 200/400/50 blinds... same basic position I'd be in at the WSOP for $2000. And in V's $340 deepstack, at 120 minutes blinds are 100/200/25 vs T6000 starting so you still have 30BB's.

The doubling of starting chip stacks at the WSOP this year MIGHT convince me to belly up to a sitNgo to try to score a couple tourney lammers. I still haven't decided.

Last year, during the Caesars WSOP Circuit, the 2nd-chance sorta tournaments and the small-buyin major tourneys had structures I considered to be poorer or about equivalent to the normal Caesars daily tourney. I just stayed away from Caesars for tourneys during the Circuit this year, figuring it would be similar--that the small buyin Circuit tourneys would probably be suckier than V's daily deep stacks (not that I played those, either--was actually kinda busy with work and life and all that the last weeks). Never did see a structure sheet for any of the circuit events to see whether the structures were improved.

So yes, I'm agreeing with you, that the Caesars, Venetian, and Binion's tourneys are gonna rock compared to WSOP 7pm and 11pm events if they haven't fixed those structures, and V's and B's will be a more probable outlet for my tourney budget than a WSOP bracelet event.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:59 PM

Kick ass. Thanks bav!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So yes, I'm agreeing with you, that the Caesars, Venetian, and Binion's tourneys are gonna rock compared to WSOP 7pm and 11pm events if they haven't fixed those structures, and V's and B's will be a more probable outlet for my tourney budget than a WSOP bracelet event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think if the word really gets out, its going to cannibalize the WSOP on some days. This might not be good for poker.

With that said, I have a full schedule planned as can be seen here
Old 05-17-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think if the word really gets out, its going to cannibalize the WSOP on some days. This might not be good for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

this needs to happen eventually. i would like the people at harrah's to know that they can't just buy the wsop name, do whatever they want, and still rake it in.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this might be excellent for poker if it happens. Harrah's may figure out that they can't just say "we're the world series--come hither and take the crap we dish out" and will have to actually try to be competitive. But doubling the starting chips this year in the bracelet events is a good sign they're understanding at least a little already.

I'm not so OCD as to have created a planned schedule already. And I don't intend to. But I did move an appointment from June 6 to May 30 to clear that day for either a V $340 or Binion's 6-handed $150. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]