Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Going broke with AK, top pair @ NL10 (how to avoid?)

3bet preflop. Rest of the action is fine.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any advice that does not start with 3bet pf is bad advice. At NL10, you should ALWAYS 3bet AK pf, not even close.

If this flop happens in a reraised pot, easy all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say a 3 bet is the worst of the 3 option at these tables. Example you 3 bet and get one caller, around 60% of the time you will miss the flop. You are then faced with a difficult decision.
What has villain called a 3 bet with?
Do I C-bet and risk getting in deeper trouble?
A 3bet would almost certainly drive out weaker Aces (except Q most of the time) as well as small SC.

I would, depending on the feel for the game and players either call (to disguise) or Push. If you’re calling pushes or making the push you could say more than 50%, you will be the underdog most of time to pairs. If the player seems loose and the kind that will push with AQ, KQs and a couple of other over rated hands then go for it you will be favourite more than 50% of the time.

Im not saying 3betting is a bad option just at Party10NL it’s the worst of the 3 options. It’s a play that can get a less experienced player into a difficult situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence man but this is really bad advice. What you say about 3bets driving out weaker hands is wrong, and thats the whole reason we are 3betting, for value.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any advice that does not start with 3bet pf is bad advice. At NL10, you should ALWAYS 3bet AK pf, not even close.

If this flop happens in a reraised pot, easy all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say a 3 bet is the worst of the 3 option at these tables. Example you 3 bet and get one caller, around 60% of the time you will miss the flop. You are then faced with a difficult decision.
What has villain called a 3 bet with?
Do I C-bet and risk getting in deeper trouble?
A 3bet would almost certainly drive out weaker Aces (except Q most of the time) as well as small SC.

I would, depending on the feel for the game and players either call (to disguise) or Push. If you’re calling pushes or making the push you could say more than 50%, you will be the underdog most of time to pairs. If the player seems loose and the kind that will push with AQ, KQs and a couple of other over rated hands then go for it you will be favourite more than 50% of the time.

Im not saying 3betting is a bad option just at Party10NL it’s the worst of the 3 options. It’s a play that can get a less experienced player into a difficult situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence man but this is really bad advice. What you say about 3bets driving out weaker hands is wrong, and thats the whole reason we are 3betting, for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where you're coming from and no offence taken. In my opinion 3betting PF with AK is not the best option for a player just finding his feet. The majority of the time you’re going to miss the flop and be faced with a hard decision.

The amount of time times at 10NL I have AK bluffs go [censored] up is unbelievable, a lot of the time ending up at showdown with A high. Yes I have done it myself, but eventually I got the discipline to lay down or know if the time was right to c-bet.

Of course if you have a read that villain is playing 36/16 then yes go for it (or push).

I think what Im saying is to at least think about your options because more that 50% of the time I think 3betting it will be the wrong one. Don't just play mechanically. What if the villian is tight 15/6, and there are a few at 10NL, probably not that good but good enough to get you into trouble playing this way.

Make your read and think of your options is probably the best way of putting it. I wouldn’t just say do x in y scenario when other options are out there.

Out of experience I would say at a very rough estimation in this PF situation is to call about 50% of the time.