Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: how do you do your HIIT?

[ QUOTE ]
Essentially what I was trying to get across is that running at a slower pace than your 400m time isn't the best way to get HIIT done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has there ever been an injury study performed with regards to HIIT? Beyond the first interval, running at or faster than your 400m pace is essentially an all out sprint. A series of all out max velocity 130-200m (assuming 20 or 30 second) intervals on short rest periods seems like almost a guaranteed way to tear up a hamstring. I can't imagine any trainer actually recommending this.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Essentially what I was trying to get across is that running at a slower pace than your 400m time isn't the best way to get HIIT done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has there ever been an injury study performed with regards to HIIT? Beyond the first interval, running at or faster than your 400m pace is essentially an all out sprint. A series of all out max velocity 130-200m (assuming 20 or 30 second) intervals on short rest periods seems like almost a guaranteed way to tear up a hamstring. I can't imagine any trainer actually recommending this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't say for certain, but i doubt it...from what ive read the interval speeds will just be dependent on what you are capable of...so for super fatty obese man it will go from walking to walking faster, or from standing still to speed walking, its about variation, not some standards...
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this frequently playing sports. But not for that distance, more like 40m-60m which is the typical distance I run. Sometimes I change up intervals to longer ones in the range you specified but I can't see how it would be any different than some other activity.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do this frequently playing sports. But not for that distance, more like 40m-60m which is the typical distance I run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a world of difference between 40-60m sprints and 130m-200m. Your distance is just about what I would expect for max velocity repeats.

My issue with HIIT is that the strenuous nature of the activities required to create the oxygen deficit may or may not be in line with what the body's musculoskeletal system is capable of handling. I think this is an issue for everyone from untrained, out of shape people to well conditioned athletes. I've searched as much as I can to try to find any type of injury studies in relation to HIIT, but have found nothing in regards to safe exertion levels or training guidelines besides "make sure you warm up".

The Tabata protocol seems particularly dangerous due to the extremely high level of exertion required to build up that oxygen deficit within 20 seconds. From what I've read, the research was conducted using collegiate varsity athletes using sprints on a stationary bike, with the 20 sec on/10sec rest intervals being compared to 30 sec on/ 2 min off. To me it seemed like an interesting research paper but hardly worthy of the gold standard status it maintains. Applying it to running sprints or any other high stress activity seems to just be begging for trouble.

Yes I hurt myself doing 30 second sprint intervals last week, but my concerns about HIIT and injury predate that by quite a bit.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Interesting. I typically take long rest periods... Perhaps 20sec exertion with 80 second rest?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Tabata protocol seems particularly dangerous due to the extremely high level of exertion required to build up that oxygen deficit within 20 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tabata protocol is typically 8 rounds, and the goal being to maintain a consistent power output in each round. Going 100% in the first one will make 100% in the 2nd impossible. Oxygen debt is going to increase each round because 10seconds isn't enough time to fully recover. The stuff Thremp is talking about with 100% output needs much longer rest periods.

For eg, a rowing tabata would probably be done at something slightly exceeding the person's 500m PR pace, but slower than his/her 100m pace.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The tabata protocol is typically 8 rounds, and the goal being to maintain a consistent power output in each round. Going 100% in the first one will make 100% in the 2nd impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that you should look to tax your body to a similar extent each round, with an expected decrease in power as the intervals increase. Thus, you'd be looking to target reaching a specific heart rate during each interval as opposed to a specific speed or performance level.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The tabata protocol is typically 8 rounds, and the goal being to maintain a consistent power output in each round. Going 100% in the first one will make 100% in the 2nd impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that you should look to tax your body to a similar extent each round, with an expected decrease in power as the intervals increase. Thus, you'd be looking to target reaching a specific heart rate during each interval as opposed to a specific speed or performance level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know of it through crossfit. They keep "score" by counting the fewest reps of an exercise (or calories in the case of using a C2 rower) in each 20second interval. Going all out initially will lead to poorer scores in the latter rounds. Therfore the goal is for identical power output each round, with obviously increasing fatigue/heartrate.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:44 PM

On tabata the way I've always seen it reccommended is: Choose something, go all out for twenty seconds, rest for 10 seconds, repeat until 4 minutes is up (so 8 total all outs.) I think any other variation isn't really using the tabata protocol.

Some people get to complicated with formulas and the like on hiit/hiit variants it seems. Some of the stuff just seems like overkill. I like to just go out and do what I feel like doing. Some days I'll run short sprints (50 meters or so), with a walk recovery, some days I'll run longer sprints (200 meters), with a walk recovery, etc. Sometimes I'll just go out and run a timed 800 or something and call it good. I don't always plan cardio out as well as I should [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Another thing I do a lot is jump rope all out for 2 minutes, rest for 30 seconds, and decrease the all out by 30 seconds (keep rest the same), and then build back up. Jump roping kicks ass!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Jah,

Just bought a jump rope a couple weeks ago -- awesome.

My HIIT goes something like this:

Stationary bike - 15 minutes

:30 all-out sprint at 12 of 25
1:00 moderate pace at 8 of 25