Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: 17 game season for NFL?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point system means that every regular season game has meaning. For example, right now teams thats are a lock for the playoffs rest key players in late season games. YES, THIS MEANS CRAPPY GAMES AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Do you see my point?

[/ QUOTE ]

His point is you don't need points in the NFL (well not really), you can just go by number of wins. The only reason they use points in Euro football is because of frequent ties.

[/ QUOTE ]Eh, ok, so points wouldn't matter. Fine get rid of that. I like the structure though.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Terrible idea. It would be very inconvenient to play a game where there's a 6 hour (or more) jet lag.

Playing within North America, okay. Playing in Japan, no.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible idea. It would be very inconvenient to play a game where there's a 6 hour (or more) jet lag.

[/ QUOTE ] They'd almost certainly still play in US primetime.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:39 AM

IMO the NFL is the only major sport that has it perfect. Don't change a great thing.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the NFL is the only major sport that has it perfect. Don't change a great thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from perfect.

Division games are near meaningless. In theory, you could lose all divisional games and still win your division. Unlikely, but possible. I think this may be the only major sport where that could happen.

As TSC mentioned, it sucks when a team has a spot locked up then rests their team. Like that wonderful Indy/Sea game that was meaningless(for Indy) when I happened. Would've been much better earlier in the season.

This is why I like NCAAF so much more(NCAAB too). You can't lay back. Div/conference games mean much, much more. Every game counts if you're pursuing the conference title or NC.

b
Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take previous seasons top 16 and put them in a knockout random draw tourney in the next season. So we have two trophy's, one for being the seasons best overall team, and one for being the best in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would have to happen in one season. The tourney being the 'postseason'.

[ QUOTE ]
Schedule each team to play 16 games, 8 vs top 16 opponents, 8 vs bottom 16 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the other 16 teams? Not sure I understand the scheduling. Random draw against the other 16 teams?

b
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, in bernie's thread, I have been discussing the possibility of switching the overall format of the league so that it is similar in structure to the English Premiership WITHOUT the relegation/promotion issue.

Create a system where teams get points for wins, crown the team with the most points the league champion. Take previous seasons top 16 and put them in a knockout random draw tourney in the next season. So we have two trophy's, one for being the seasons best overall team, and one for being the best in the tourney.

Of course the leagues structure has to be changed. My idea was get rid of the conferences. Schedule each team to play 16 games, 8 vs top 16 opponents, 8 vs bottom 16 opponents. equal number of home and away games, but random draw against the field.

Thoughts? And please, don't come back saying its to Euro or whatnot. This format would rule. EVERY regular season game means something. It would only extend the league by what, 4 games at the most for teams reaching the tourney final?

Thoughts!

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the way that european soccer works, but I don't really like the idea of doing this for football.

I actually think that the way that it is now is very good in the NFL. Since they only play 16 regular season games, it makes sense to have playoffs (16 games isn't enough to crown a champion of a 32 team league), and the way that the playoffs are structured helps to keep the regular season important (Since the 1and 2 seeds are much better than the 3 and 4 seeds which are better than the 5 and 6 seeds). The only thing I would change would be to have the AFC and NFC playoffs integrated into one tournament (to make for better superbowls on average).
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point system means that every regular season game has meaning. For example, right now teams thats are a lock for the playoffs rest key players in late season games. YES, THIS MEANS CRAPPY GAMES AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Do you see my point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is usually a big problem since teams will always continue to fight fot the 1, 2, or 4 seeds. Teams usually only rest players if they are locked into their spot. It is rare that this occurs in more than the last week.

In your system, it is just as likely that a team would have locked up the league championship going into the last week, so they might just as well rest players. SO I don't think your system would help to make the games more exciting or important.

If the NFL wants to get rid of resting players in late season games, I think the best way would be to have winning streak at the end of the season be the first tiebreaker.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Division games are near meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are division games nearly meaningless?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Division games are near meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are division games nearly meaningless?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as winning ones division.

In comparison to CFB conference games, they don't carry near as much weight in terms of winning a division.

b