Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 60 days of losing

not a bad idea at all
Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i went on a 3 month bad streak after quitting my job. true story. i played pretty tight the whole time too. it got so bad that one day i turned quads and got nervous.

remember, jennifer harman a few years back had to borrow money. she said she went a year where she just couldnt win.

bad streaks r real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but usually a bad streak is a downward spiral. You win $3000 monday and drop $5000 on tuesday. You go on an extended streak where you might lose 3 out of every 5 sessions. And sometimes you lose 3 or 4 sessions in a row.

But if somebody actually has a 20 session losing streak when averaging 10 hrs or more per session, then the chance that that person is playing with an edge is almost nill.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I went through a small bad streak of 2 months of completely being card dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've had 20 in a row, but like Frond said, that was entirely due to being card dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get it
what does this mean

[/ QUOTE ]

It means that he doesn't keep good records. The chance of a break even player losing 20 sessions in a row is about one in a million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well whatever. What it means to me is that I was playing at no foldem tables and being dealt absolute garbage. Literally no playable hands. One time even 3 1/2 hours before I played a hand outside the blinds(I flopped top two with AQ and lost [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). Anyway, it was 20 sessions over a 2 year period though most sessions were only 3-4 hours or so. I never even dropped more than one rack in a session because I was rarely getting dealt playable hands.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Playing full time is a big difference from playing on the side. Cut way back on your hours, play shorter sessions, take a lot of breaks and ease into a full time schedule. It takes some time to adjust to the grind. Get a part time job if you have to in the mean time.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I went through a small bad streak of 2 months of completely being card dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've had 20 in a row, but like Frond said, that was entirely due to being card dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get it
what does this mean

[/ QUOTE ]

It means that he doesn't keep good records. The chance of a break even player losing 20 sessions in a row is about one in a million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well whatever. What it means to me is that I was playing at no foldem tables and being dealt absolute garbage. Literally no playable hands. One time even 3 1/2 hours before I played a hand outside the blinds(I flopped top two with AQ and lost [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). Anyway, it was 20 sessions over a 2 year period though most sessions were only 3-4 hours or so. I never even dropped more than one rack in a session because I was rarely getting dealt playable hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, what ever it means is that that is the probability, one in a million. 50% to the 20th power is .000000953674, that's just over one in a million. One in a million is not an expression but the actual probability of a break even player losing 20 sessions in a row. This happening to a winning player is power ball type odds. 60 sessions is astronomical and requires someone to be worse than simply a losing player, but someone who does things deliberately to force a losing outcome.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ah 60 days of live losing is what, 18 000 hands ? That's like a week and half of losing online. My god yes that happens. Don't worry about it, keep playing your A game, and maybe post some hands you feel you misplayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except online your edge is usually much smaller since you're playing against tougher opponents and multi tabling. 60 straight days of losing live is very unlikely to be due solely to running bad.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:23 PM

As emerson points out, it's unrealistic to believe the original poster is a winning player at this level. A break-even player may have a 50/50 chance of being behind after 60 days, but it's a quintillion-to-1 shot that he has 60 straight losing days due to "bad luck" (i.e. variance).

Even a very bad player is extremely unlikely to see 60 straight losing days. For example, a really horrible 20/40 player who loses 5BB/hr and has an hourly standard deviation of 15BB/hr will be approx 32500:1 to have 60 straight losing 10hr sessions.

It's much more likely that the poster is going out of his way to lose or that the post is a fraud.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:54 PM

man, i got to tell u. my 3 month bad streak was freakish. the first month i played every day and went to the cashiers window once or twice. i started to limit my play to maybe 3 times a week for the next few months and it was the same thing. i'd play tight and always start the session out stuck and usually go completely card dead, session after session after session. this was 6/12 ,imit mostly. i would honsetly say that those 2 months of limited play of 3 times a week, i never saw the cashiers window once. in most of my sessions, people would comment about how tight i was. it wasnt that i was so tight as it was the rags i would constantly get dealt, and when i did get big hands, they would get beat very easily.....even in heads up situations. these things happened over and over and over and over.

i had to quit the game.

a few years later, i took the game back up. i been a pro now for 3 years and i play the same tight game i always did. i know more now than i did back in my 3 month losing streak but from what i know now, my game during the losing streak was good. it wasnt that my game was bad at all. it was simply a freakish losing streak that after some investigating, i heard happens to most poker players at least once in theyre life times. some players never encounter it.

mike caro said that unexplainable and illogical things happen in poker. how it happens defies logical reasoning......but it does happen.

i can tell u other weird stories too:

recently, i went 0/25 on draws containg 8 outs or more.

over a 4 month period of playing 30 hours a week, i made 5 fullhouses.

over the period of one month and playing about 30 hours a week, i didnt make one flush.

this is all single table live play. mostly limit and spread limit. 20/40 to 40/80 limit and 2 3 5 spread limit.

true stories
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Default ARE YOU PLAYING ON FULL TILT? Re: 60 days of losing/

When I got off of full tilt robbing me, I started to get normal results again.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM

"It could be a combination of things, or any one of the following: you're not as good as you think, you're having bad luck, you're not playing well, you're playing too long or perhaps you're not selecting your games well."

There is also a very small possibility that you are being flat out cheated.
Closed Thread