Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Hijacked repost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, why did you only call on the flop if a call from the button was going to spook you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was expecting either a reraise from behind or more likely to go heads up. It did not, hence my question of is the flop call bad. I am wondering if a flop reraise would have been better. It would much more clearly defined anyone's hand who called behind me, but may have tipped off my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise here most of the time. It is the easiest way to get it all in. If you want to define the other players hands, most of the time you will have to define yours as well.

A raise on the turn shows more strength to me than a raise on the flop.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Disclaimer - pretty new to NL full-ring.

threads - Not sure why you would want to raise that flop.
You're either way-ahead or way-behind. Raising stands the chance of losing players.

If the button has a weak-ace he might call just the $25 and fold to any raise which kind of sucks if he really is behind because he's practically drawing dead.

I really think slowing-down with this one in hopes of not losing anyone and extracting chips would be the better way to go. You're hoping someone goes wacky with a 2-pair somewhere in there (A9 or A6 or whatever).
If you happen to be behind 66 then that's life and I agree it's a definite possibiloity for the button.
But he's a new player, you can't put too narrow a range on him.

Seems less likely UTG would have 66 or AA. He's just asking to lose value by pushing on the turn if that's what he had because he certainly can't expect that someone has a lower set, can he?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is calling $25 at $88, little better than 3 to 1. Only likely way to improve his hand would be to set up, which is about 10-1 of him doing. I am not even sure he has the correct implied odds to call unless he can stack BOTH players.

I dont know if he is horrible or not, but I cant see a reasonable player calling here with pockets under the A.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I would think that after the button's flop call, his most likely range is a pair of Aces or better, and I think even a bad player folds out A10 here. He most likely has AK-AJ, A6, A2, AA, or 66, and most likely, that is UTGs range as well. Without discounting any of these hands, here is a pokerstove against both of them having this range.

2,022,513 games 54.594 secs 37,046 games/sec

Board: Ah 6d 2c 9s
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 77.686% 78.15% 00.00% 1580613 0.00 { 2h2s }
Hand 1: 11.302% 11.32% 00.05% 228909 1038.00 { AA, 66, AJs+, A6s, A2s, AJo+, A6o, A2o }
Hand 2: 11.012% 11.03% 00.05% 223008 1038.00 { AA, 66, AJs+, A6s, A2s, AJo+, A6o, A2o }

If you call and the button folds, then you pickup about 95% of his equity, putting you to 87%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see everything I was trying to achieve was unheard.

I think both ranges are too tight. Also, you need to discount some of those hands somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't not discounting some of those hands effectively loosen their ranges? What do you think the effective ranges of all 3 players are given the actions we have seen (that is the preflop, flop and turn action of UTG, and the preflop and flop action of Hero and Button)?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer - pretty new to NL full-ring.

threads - Not sure why you would want to raise that flop.
You're either way-ahead or way-behind. Raising stands the chance of losing players.

If the button has a weak-ace he might call just the $25 and fold to any raise which kind of sucks if he really is behind because he's practically drawing dead.

I really think slowing-down with this one in hopes of not losing anyone and extracting chips would be the better way to go. You're hoping someone goes wacky with a 2-pair somewhere in there (A9 or A6 or whatever).
If you happen to be behind 66 then that's life and I agree it's a definite possibiloity for the button.
But he's a new player, you can't put too narrow a range on him.

Seems less likely UTG would have 66 or AA. He's just asking to lose value by pushing on the turn if that's what he had because he certainly can't expect that someone has a lower set, can he?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with slowing down. That makes sense that I am either way ahead or way behind and want to keep people in the pot.

I still dont know what to think of UTG bet. It is almost as if he is protecting his hand. That doesnt sound like AA or 66 to me. If he has either, I would think he would value bet it more to leave a more reasonable river bet.

UTG showed AK, I incorrectly folded my set, Button pushed all in for AQ and got no help. LOL and I thought my set was no good. FPS I guess. Thanks for the posts.