Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: US: \"appreciate it\". You don\'t, right?

[ QUOTE ]
mason, it was the intonation that really made me think it was just verbal diarrhoea on their part. I think even when people don't give a damn here, you don't drop your intonation...

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yeah i understand what you're saying. i think it's just a difference between american and british english in terms of the intonation.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I use "'preciate it" instead of "thank you," but I mean both of them, whichever I choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you're a nice guy from your post history. I think false genuineness just strikes a nerve with me.

Has anyone felt a victim of ungenuineness in the UK so this thread doesn't appear to be US-bashing, please?

[ QUOTE ]
Walking around the shops in downtown (esp. Macy's) we couldn't pass any staff member in store without getting hello'd/how are you'd, yet they barely broke pace, stopped or looked genuinely interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is part of their job to this, standard at just about any department store. Some employees are more enthusiastic than others. For $15/hr I wouldnt really mean it either.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who won the french elections again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monsieur Sarkozy, the guy who called rioters "Scumbags". the perfect man for the job! [???]

[/ QUOTE ]

"'preciate it"
Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Peter - When I was in England (almost 20 yrs ago) I was kind of blown-away by all the people saying 'Cheers' to me over and over and over.

I quickly learned it's not just for toasting with alcoholic beverages over there.

There is something to your point perhaps though because, most of the time, I was somewhat struck by how sincere the British seemed to be when addressing someone.
But there were a fair share of run-of-the-mill 'cheers' which felt just as brush-off and "I'm only saying this because I pretty much have to" as anything in the U.S.

Go to Quebec and they substitute 'Salut!' for cheers. They say this non-stop in practically every situation I think.

In Memphis they don't typically say, 'appreciate it' as i am accustomed to.
They say 'appreciate ya' which I still haven't gotten used to even after living here for 4+ years. I had NEVER heard 'appreciate ya' as a substitute for 'appreciate it' before coming to Memphis.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walking around the shops in downtown (esp. Macy's) we couldn't pass any staff member in store without getting hello'd/how are you'd, yet they barely broke pace, stopped or looked genuinely interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is part of their job to this, standard at just about any department store. Some employees are more enthusiastic than others. For $15/hr I wouldnt really mean it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, i work (part time, bar job) for the equivalent of $11/hr before tax over here and when i say hello, thanks, have a great rest of your day etc. i fully mean it.

Maybe this is a thinly veiled whiny post about hypocrisy [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM

Microbob,
you're right about the Cheers, it's the all-purpose "thanks". on a US trip in 2005 i noticed people give me funny looks for saying it, and asked a chick in NY on my return to the east coast on the trip what the deal was; she told me it's only used as a drinks thing OR as a goodbye. Oops [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who won the french elections again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monsieur Sarkozy, the guy who called rioters "Scumbags". the perfect man for the job! [???]

[/ QUOTE ]

"'preciate it"

[/ QUOTE ]

any time matey, i know france is a long way away from ya. still call them freedom fries? man, that was weird.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe people are complaining when people are being nice.

You'd rather people just give you blank stare and punch you in the face?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd rather someone mean it, or not say it. As for the punch, depends what i'd done to deserve it.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM

I've had this discussion before. There's a guy who sells the Sunday paper at the corner. He's always waving to people telling them he hopes they have a nice day etc. My friend was like "that guy is fos. What do you think?"

I think if the guy looks like he means it and acts like he means it then what does it matter?

Perception is reality.