Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Why a must move game? What is the concept?

Daisy chained must move games are utterly ridiculous and totally unneccessary. This was one of the primary reasons i began to dislike playing at the bellagio years ago, the multiple daisy chained 2-5 games. As soon as you get comfy at your game you are forced to move. When you finally get to the "main game" it's'full of local nits who are staunch advocates of the must-move system. Before the rest of the bull-pucky finally drove me out of the B, id just resolve myself that when i hit the third table i would go somewhere else.

Al
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 PM

So from what everyone is saying, having a must move at The Bike on a Saturday afternoon when the place is filling up and we already have 3 tables going is kind of silly.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which can lead to idiocy like starting games at 5pm or 2am with 4 people after the room net flow has turned outbound.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAIL CAESAR!

I loooooooove it when they open up 1/2NL games at 10-10:30pmish for a ton of people who are just there to play the 11pm tourney and will kill the games they got put in dead.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So from what everyone is saying, having a must move at The Bike on a Saturday afternoon when the place is filling up and we already have 3 tables going is kind of silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

A'yup.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff notes below:

Most of the Bike floor recognize this and wouldn't "must move" a new game (when it isn't really necessary) if they had more control/input into policy. But on rare occasion a game that wasn't protected by a never ending must move might die before a game that was started later (note that the game that died could die much later). Now a customer/buddy of management complains that "his game broke first and wasn't protected" so management makes a policy that is sort of analogous to getting rid of an ingrown toenail by amputating a leg.

That said, the must move isn't being overused at the Bike quite as much as it used to. IMO this is helping business a bit (especially the 20/40 limit holdem).

----

Cliff notes: The natural reaction of a floor at the Bike who values job security is to overuse the must move.

~ Rick
Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a well run room must-moves are not needed. While you don't want to start a new game and have the existing one break as a result, that doesnt mean you HAVE to do a must-move game. A good floor or brush will just make sure to keep filling seats in the first game as well as try to get the new one filled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

Excellent post. That said, as much as I dislike must moves they are occasionally helpful. This is perhaps more true in LA where there are more regulars and the floor can't so easily maneuver recently arriving players into the older game (since they will know where the other games are and wonder why they can't take the game they prefer).

Here's an example of must move well used. It's 10:00 pm on a weekday in Los Angeles and the club figures to be past the time where it has already peaked (I mention LA since my guess is peak times in Las Vegas are much later). Let's say you only have two 20/40 holdems going and don't have games close in limit (e.g., 15/30 or 30/60) that the 20/40 players might be happy to play if their game breaks. You have about five players standing around (or playing in games they would rather not) who want to play and maybe two or three others who might play (they are on the board but in their other favorite games). Some of the regulars in the existing game are probably within an hour or so of going home. This is a classic example of a situation where you want to make the new game a must move.

Now change things a bit. Same situation as above but the time is 7:00 pm on a Friday night. The day players have already left. No major tournament is about to start. Now a good floor should start the new game and if it is even close to full not bother with a must move.

Unfortunately a competent floor can use good judgement virtually all the time but still get an unreasonable policy forced down his throat because one time in a hundred an established game breaks partly as a result of a new game starting and the must move coming off a bit early. Now as mentioned in your first paragraph (which I didn't quote) management responds to a regular nits complaint and implements a "never take the must move off" type policy.

~ Rick