Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Spiderman 3 the new Godfather 3? (no spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
Godfather 3 was not that bad, if only for the just when i think i'm out line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This cracked me up even as a commercial, because it was the oldest cliche in the book. We all KNEW that a ham like Pacino would have to say this line, and our most hilarious suspicions were confirmed in rich style. We got our cornball reward!

The nearest parallel I can think of is when you're watching Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and waiting for him to say, "...for me to POOP ON!"
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 AM

X-men's have been pretty disappointing. The death of Jean seemed completely retarded and entirely plot-driven. S2 also seemed to wallow in its own crepulence a good bit. Is that daring?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 AM

Anyone think the Batman series that Batman Begins started will surpass these movies in terms of quality?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone think the Batman series that Batman Begins started will surpass these movies in terms of quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certainly. I mean Batman Begins was way better than Spiderman and about even with Spiderman 2 IMO
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certainly. I mean Batman Begins was way better than Spiderman and about even with Spiderman 2 IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll find out next year when The Dark Knight comes out.

But, it's box office of $371 million was actually dissapointing compared to similar films.

Spider-Man: $806 million
Spider-Man 2: $783 million

X-Men: $294 million
X2: $407 million
X-Men: The Last Stand: $455 million

Superman Returns: $389 million
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 AM

No. They have to make it much more physically exciting. I don't think I can recall being more disappointed in a movie's fight scenes, and I am an expert at being disappointed in fight scenes. Batman Begins stomped my expectations into the dirt.

Spidey has going for it physical exuberance of a kind Batman couldn't give even if he wanted to and had the best director in the world. What we had last time for Batman was a guy who thinks a fight scene should be edited in short cuts and obscured as much as possible and, even worse played for awe on top of that. At that rate, Dave Letterman could sub in as Batman's stuntman. This kind of foggy, evasive, momentum-destroying ordinariness couldn't possibly upstage anything Spidey, even the most glaringly fake CGI.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 AM

I don't know, when I watched Batman Begins I got the feeling I was watching an actual movie. With the Spidermans I sometimes just felt like I was at a visual circus, kind of like PotC 2.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 AM

I felt the fakeness in Batman Begins, so it didn't feel so much like a regular movie to me. Plehty seemed klunky and done for effect. Liam Neeson and almost everybody else should have kicked bat ass. I agree that Spiderman seems like a visual circus, but then again, what else is this kind of movie supposed to be? I marveled more at anything BUT the silliness popping up. When it did, I found it sometimes surprisingly captivating. And the circus, well, it did its part. As far as box office, the circus is probably enough to keep the dollars in to make it tops.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 AM

batman begins was fking outstanding, spiderman movies tend to be action set piece spectacle, didnt that thing end with a contact esque spinning machine or something retarded with like awesome orange glow effects? katie holmes aside i liked every part of that movie.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 AM

Batman Begins' fighting scenes were horribly amateurish, a substitution of sizzle for steak. The action scenes are the core of a superhero movie, and Batman Begins took the tack of giving up before the fight for the audience even started. If anything, they were a perfect illustration of an audience's lowered expectations after being fed so many bad scenes for so long. Reference ANY Hong Kong flick for comparison. I mean, these fight scenes were total miserable crap. What a complete thumping let-down, unless you're used to just total garbage crap. To add insult to injury, listen to the commentary on the DVD about the awesome "fighting style."

Katie Holmes was also awful.

That said, the flick wasn't too bad. But jeez, mess up both the fighting AND the love scenes? WTF, that's dumping both the boys and the girls. Horrible choices. Good thing the franchise was solidly established before the director came into it, and that the director isn't totally bad despite his preposterous gaffes. Do this crap on a no-name superhero attempt, and this movie sinks to the bottom.

Outstanding? Hardly. Rescued by the franchise, and often reasonably done besides tons of terrible decisions that could be blamed on nobody but the director? Okay. Potential? We'll see. I'd join in a group class with Quentin Tarantino given in Hong Kong on how to shoot fight scenes, and dump Katie Holmes, if the desire to do any better is at all there. Otherwise, see how long you can rake in money before people get completely fed up and the whole mess crashes.