Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Cano for Alou - fair fantasy baseball trade?

you're the "sell low" guy you read about in fantasy articles [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 PM

If you want some help, post the list of FA at each of your problem positions and we can sort through some guys who might be able to help you. See if some moron dropped Jered Weaver. See if Bartolo Colon even got picked since he was injured and bad to start the season. Tom Gorzellany is almost definitely available and will probably be the 2nd best starter on your team immediate. TRY TO TRADE BRADEN LOOPER! Try to trade for some slow start studs, like Carlos Zambrano. Totally avoid big name guys with low K totals if you are unfamiliar with some of the finer points like analyzing peripheral stats, park factor, etc - because they could just be coming off a lucky season where last year's numbers won't help you predict this year's.

James
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM

others have already mentioned it...cano is above average and in a good lineup...alou will get hurt and gets taken out late in games...

also, ur pitching makes me grimace like others have said...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 PM

No, this is a terrible trade for you. Think about how many 20 HR 80 RBI 2B there are and compare it to the number of 20 HR 80 RBI OF there are. Cano has huge upside and despite hitting 7th and 8th, will drive in and score a lot of runs because 1) he plays everyday, and 2) he hits in the best line-up in baseball. Alou is 40 years old and will be rested frequently, plus you can pull at least 5 OF's of your WW that will put up the exact same numbers, if not better, than Alou. If you insist on trading Cano, you can get a hell of a lot more in return than Moises Alou.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Tom Gorzellany is on waivers, I'll pick him up once he clears. In the meantime I dumped Aardsma (since he gets me no w/l, no Ks, no meaningful impact on era/whip) and got Matt Belisle, and dropped Jason Marquis for James Shields, thoughts?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Also, the top ranked current free agent pitchers are...

Jaime Moyer
Jason Marquis
Shawn Hill
Randy Wolf
Joe Blanton
Jason Hirsch
Tim Wakefield
Kelvim Escobar
Jason Bergmann
Robinson Tejada

and the top original ranked free agent starters NOT on the DL are

Justin Verlander
Derek Lowe
Freddy Garcia
Kevin Milwood
John Patterson
Kelvim Escobar
Adam Wainwright

Another really sore spot is closers, although I'm sure Rivera will come around eventually. Torres I'm not so sure. Are either David Weathers or (ugh) Joakim Soria better?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Gorzellany is on waivers, I'll pick him up once he clears. In the meantime I dumped Aardsma (since he gets me no w/l, no Ks, no meaningful impact on era/whip) and got Matt Belisle, and dropped Jason Marquis for James Shields, thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Belisle might be decent; you'll have to wait and see how he pans out. Dumping Marquis for Shields is awesome. Shields should not still be available in anything but a very shallow league, and Marquis is just terrible.

Gorzellany is OK, but I suspect you might be able to do better. What about Sean Hill or Joe Blanton (if Blanton can keep up his new found K/9 rate)?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM

GRAB KELVIM ESCOBAR. Sorry, didn't mean to yell; grab Kelvim Escobar (f- Belisle and Gorzellany).

Do not cut Torres for Weathers or Soria; all three have about the same level of job security. A better plan would be wait for Torres to lose the job and grab Matt Capps. Maybe even pickup Capps now and hold onto him if/when Torres blows it. Even if he's not getting saves, Capps will help with ERA, WHIP, and K's.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM

i like james shields more than marquis i think. dont think aardsma/belisle will be much of a difference. the biggest thing you can do for yourself to help your relief situation is keep an eye out for closers getting injured/losing their jobs. i tend to think joe borowski is on a shorter leash than wedge lets on because his era has been absolutely atrocious and he's really only had 1 true shut down game. fernando cabrera would likely be his replacement. see if henry owens is available as he'll get saves for the marlins and should get a lot of Ks. other possible job losers to my mind would be benitez in SF(replaced by kashner i guess, havent looked into it), valverde in AZ(he has been good so far but could implode), reyes in TB(same reasons), and keep an eye on the Royals situation as Dotel might return soon. You really need to also be looking out for young studs moving into the rotation - most notably tim lincecum from the Giants who has given up 1 run in almost 40 innings with more than a K per inning as a starter(including a 14 k performance last night). If Russ Ortiz or Benitez struggle, he could come up and immediately be a big impact fantasy player. Similarly, look out for Yovani Gallardo on the Brewers in case Claudio Vargas reverts to old form.

James
Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM

I was looking at Blanton and Hill but I hadn't heard of either of them before, my starters will now be (as of like tuesday or whenever I clear Gorzellany)

Chris Carpenter (NL)
Nate Robertson
Ramon Ortiz
James Shields
Matt Belisle
Tom Gorzellany

who do you think is the weakest one there, like who should I be ditching for Blanton? I could also try to ship either Delgado, Garciapparra or Scott Rolen since I have sort of an extra bench spot, but I'm not sure what level of pitching I could get for any of those guys.