Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Live HU vs Phil Laak (spew?)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that AI in HU limit hold'em will be world class in the next 3-4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could play against this kind of world class player 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously now it isn't. I love how you limit guys get so defensive and insecure when you realize that in a few years bots are going to be at an unbeatable level.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is just a matter of time before they create unbeatable no limit bots. or at the very least bots that will destroy all but the top 1% or so of players.

When they start putting as much effort into creating poker bots as they did solving backgammon or chess it wont take very long to make world class bots.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nextgenneo:

Do you really think that Phil Laak played this hand well?

Do you realize how many Limit players move to NL and do fine, inversely realated to how many NL players move to Limit and do terrible?

What I really want to know.... HOW IN THE **** DID A BOT PLAY A LIIIIIIVVVVVE GAME???????

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's right kids ... that picture was taken right after the hand was played. Due to my ingenious costume, Laak thought I was Hoyt Corkins.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM

I HATE BOTS... Visit my site later in the week with as list of all the bots currently on most sites. And I would agree that the poker bots are getting to the level that they are very profitable now. For instance the bot Banana234 on UB that plays HU exclusivly 50-100 in the last 3 months has won over $210,000. St Justice and bmw750i on UB are the same guy as banana234 which have just won tons. Bots make me sick and remember after you program a good one whats to stop selling or giving the code to anyone and copy, copy, copy and bam you have a huge bot infestation. read more about it in the coming days on destroythebots.com
Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I HATE BOTS... Visit my site later in the week with as list of all the bots currently on most sites. And I would agree that the poker bots are getting to the level that they are very profitable now. For instance the bot Banana234 on UB that plays HU exclusivly 50-100 in the last 3 months has won over $210,000. St Justice and bmw750i on UB are the same guy as banana234 which have just won tons. Bots make me sick and remember after you program a good one whats to stop selling or giving the code to anyone and copy, copy, copy and bam you have a huge bot infestation. read more about it in the coming days on destroythebots.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice site
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is just a matter of time before they create unbeatable no limit bots. or at the very least bots that will destroy all but the top 1% or so of players.

When they start putting as much effort into creating poker bots as they did solving backgammon or chess it wont take very long to make world class bots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering how much more profitable poker is in comparison to chess and backgammon it would seem odd that the superbot isn't here yet... Apparently it hasn't even come close or we would have heard about it/experienced it in online games.

I think the answer is that humans will always be able to shift gears better than a bot.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:15 PM

HeyJoe;
You are exactly right. Humans will always be able to adapt better than a bot. No superbots in sight.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:57 PM

I'm of the school of thought that since Poker is nearly a pure mathematics game - that the best theroretical player will always be a Bot. I have to believe that. If I don't believe that - that means I don't believe that poker is a mathematics game. If I don't believe poker is a mathematics game, then that defeats 90% of the notions that Poker is a skill game. I think poker is a skill game, a mathematics game, and therefore the best player, someday, won't be human.

That day isn't here yet, though. Based on my very limited understanding - there are at least two necessary criteria for a bot to beat out a good player.

1) Strong algorithm that will cause the bot to play a better mathematics game than the human will, in the first place.

2) Powerful enough computer to crunch said #s within a reasonable time frame.

I'm more familiar with #2 - and I'd just say that given the complexity of the decision making process in poker (I think a lot of people severely underestimate the amount of mathematics that can be applied to poker) - the computers that may be capable of doing that aren't going to be dedicated to poker-bots anytime soon.

How about in 2-3 years? Technology is 'doubling' on a daily basis, so there is a theroretical possibility.

I do not think the current state of poker warrants most players to think of bots as threatening to their EV. If it really bothers you - just play live ; )

~andy
Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Technology is 'doubling' on a daily basis, so there is a theroretical possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty fast.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Technology is 'doubling' on a daily basis, so there is a theroretical possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from some report that I read about how 15 years ago it used to take 6 months for technology to 'double', and then 10 years ago it was 3 months, and now it's almost daily. By 'doubling', it doesn't mean processors getting twice as powerful or what not, but rather some aggregrate measure of the technology sector (certainly not in terms of $$) : )

It could be wrong, but the intent of that was to show that technology is increasing rapidly (duh) so anything can be possible.

~andy
Old 05-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Andy, why do you think computers have been beating the best chess players for years, while computers have not even come close in a seemingly much less complex game such as poker. It would seem there is an element in poker that computers are just not able to crack.