Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Does the run count?

IT COUNTS, THIS IS TAKEN FROM THE RULES

Example: Not a force out. One out. Runner on first and third. Batter flies out. Two out. Runner on third tags up and scores. Runner on first tries to retouch before throw from fielder reaches first baseman, but does not get back in time and is out. Three outs. If, in umpire’s judgment, the runner from third touched home before the ball was held at first base, the run counts.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:03 PM

There was a thread on this question a year or two ago. It turns out that the play at first is not considered a force play(it is technically considered an appeal). Since it is not a force play, any run scoring prior to the out counts.

(Force plays occur only when runners are forced to run because the batter becomes a runner).
Old 04-27-2007, 09:36 PM

I think some of the confusion here is because the original post is unclear about who was put out and how.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:56 PM

This happend like 45 minutes ago in the Indians/Orioles game.

Edit: The umpires did NOT count the run but it should have. Sam Palazzo did not protest at the time, so he can NOT protest it now since another pitch was made. Apparently in a situation like that you have to protest right away. This is MLB by the way, so maybe the college ruling is different

Edit Again: They just gave the Orioles the run, 3 innings after it happend. Now both managers have filed a protest.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some of the confusion here is because the original post is unclear about who was put out and how.

[/ QUOTE ]

Runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

Pop-up to center. Runner on 3rd stays put and runner on 1st takes off running while the ball is still in the air.

Centerfielder catches the ball, the guy on 3rd tags up and runs home.

While this is happening the centerfield throws to 1st because the runner that was on 1st has not tagged up and is now near 3rd.

The guy that was originally on 3rd touches home then the 1st baseman catches the ball and touches 1st to complete the double play.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You play college baseball and you don't know that the run doesn't count? I simply can't believe that. Was there actual controversy involved in the call?

[/ QUOTE ]

You jump all over his nuts when you dont know the rules yourself? I simply can't believe that. People like you are the reason there is controversy in calls like this.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Not unusual or a big deal stepbang.
Just like all the 'experts' in the stands who start freaking out for a balk every time the pitcher fakes a throw to 3rd or 2nd.

Also the same for every guy who screams about how awful the 3rd base coach is for not sending the runner even if it was pretty damn obvious he had very little chance of scoring.

I try not to get too out of hand on a baseball rule if I honestly don't know the answer.
And regarding the 'force' at 1st for the runner tagging-up and whether or not the run counted I can honestly say I wasn't sure.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: The umpires did NOT count the run but it should have. Sam Palazzo did not protest at the time, so he can NOT protest it now since another pitch was made. Apparently in a situation like that you have to protest right away. This is MLB by the way, so maybe the college ruling is different

Edit Again: They just gave the Orioles the run, 3 innings after it happend. Now both managers have filed a protest.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy.
And really weird that this would happen just as we were discussing it here.

Here's the story:

link
Old 04-28-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy.
And really weird that this would happen just as we were discussing it here.

Here's the story:

link

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really legal to count the run after the next pitch (let alone three innings later)? If I were MLB, I would order that the result of this game be vacated, and that the game be replayed.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Previously I would not have thought it should be allowed.
Obviously this is the basis for their protest.

The decision was made. It was wrong. But the other team didn't protest. Therefore the decision stands.
That is how I always THOUGHT such a situation went.