Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: sitting on the porch of your Southern plantation?
G&T 17 53.13%
Mint Julep 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: An Essay About “Poker: The Misunderstood Pastime”

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry your father didn't hug you enough because it's clear you can't handle it when other people might be enjoying life.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sniff* and you call me a jerk.

[ QUOTE ]
It's more about I wish my parents would try harder to be supportive of the things I believe in, something many of us probably struggle with and is related to poker because we all deal w/ it and it may affect our game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. What a load of crap. Poker isn't something you believe in, it's something you do, and as I pointed out in my previous post it's one of at least a few dozen things that you do that your parents wouldn't approve of (ever smoked pot? driven your car with a buzz?). The difference is that for some reason you feel it necessary to tell them about it. Probably because you feel, as do I, that compared to some hobbies this one should be approved of because it makes money instead of costing money, right? Doesn't change the situation, tho.

This thread is no different than one about how you're on a 50bb "downswing" over the past 275 hands. Put it in the Psychology forum if you want to talk about your parent troubles, in here it's just another narcissistic whine post.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:52 PM

WHEN KEEPING IT REAL GOES WRONG:

befolder: high five!

boz: man, get off me. why can't you shake my hand? like a man?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't compare my poker income to my job, though. I compare it to alternative hobbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my line, too.

I have a friend who paints. Right now, she has sold a few prints of her work, but she's clearly losing money on it (paints, canvas, classes, time...). Perhaps someday, she'll develop to the point where she can make money off of her paintings (or at least recoup the cost of the materials). If that never happens, it's okay. She didn't choose painting as a hobby to get rich, she chose it because she likes to do it.

I don't see any difference in that view compared to how poker works for me (except that it's easier to show immediate profit in poker than in painting).

[ QUOTE ]
And just out of curiosity, a poll:

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW - Math grad students at UCSD earn $1700/month for 9 months out of the year for being a 50% TA ($15000), but with fee remissions, it comes out to about $23000. It looks like most grad students fall into that same range, except for maybe those poor humanities people...
Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Ok, based on the responses to the poll and a 4tabling 2bb/h 3h/day routine: 2/4 gets you to 33.5k. That is w/out any bonus or RB.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but what am I supposed to sell in the winter, when demand for lemonade is way down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker essays.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM

"80K-150K: 1 vote - 10%"

Okay, which one of us is a drug dealer?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody else: get over thinking that you're making money. Statistically, none of us are ever going to derive a significant portion of our income from playing poker over a long period of time. If you're playing 10/20, you have to be sustaining 2bb/hr, 8 hours a day, 50 weeks a year to match an $80k/year job (in fact it's more, because you pay self-employment taxes which are higher).

[/ QUOTE ]

Single-tabling, that is. 4-tabling, you'd make 320k. Or, for 80k, you'd have to play 2h/day 5days/week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that's right bro. I think you're assuming you'll play 100 hands/hr/table as well as assuming that you'll make 2bb/hr/table....

You'd have to be playing 400/hands/hr at 4 tables at 2bb/100hands in order for you to make 80k/yr playing 10hrs/week.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM

4tables *2bb/h (=$40) * 40h/week *50weeks/year = 4*$40*40*50=320k
Old 04-25-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who paints. Right now, she has sold a few prints of her work, but she's clearly losing money on it (paints, canvas, classes, time...). Perhaps someday, she'll develop to the point where she can make money off of her paintings (or at least recoup the cost of the materials). If that never happens, it's okay. She didn't choose painting as a hobby to get rich, she chose it because she likes to do it.

I don't see any difference in that view compared to how poker works for me (except that it's easier to show immediate profit in poker than in painting).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Aaron nailed it on the head and answered what I think you were asking Befolder. Frankly its a hobby that you enjoy. I see it as no different then being a sports fanatic. You spend money on memorabilia, on tickets and you spend time doing it. The key factor is you enjoy it and its not illegal.(illegality throws some weird chinks into the armor) The only difference in this hobby, part of it deals with money. Sometimes its a topic best left alone, but at some point you may need to confront your folks and explain this to them. Your not going broke, its something you enjoy, you have control over it and they need to trust you.

FWIW, I have the same problem with my sister. Also, my father plays and my mother likes that he plays because its relaxing for him and its a hobby that he enjoys. My sister doesn't get it, but she thinks that hobby money should be spent on fixing up their house and weird crap like that. She has a wine taste on a beer budget.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I have the same problem with my sister. Also, my father plays and my mother likes that he plays because its relaxing for him and its a hobby that he enjoys. My sister doesn't get it, but she thinks that hobby money should be spent on fixing up their house and weird crap like that. She has a wine taste on a beer budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ sister for trying to tell other people how they should spend their money.