Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Hybrid Clubs

I hit several different brands into a screen last week. They feel really good, better than the 5-wood I carry in the bag now. I just bought the Callaway X-20 Tour irons and resisted the temptation to replace the 3-iron with a hybrid. Everyone is telling me I should and perhaps I will give in, but not yet. Call me stubborn.

With all due respect I must weigh in and say that my handicap index is now 8.5. I encourage everyone who plays even once a week to keep a handicap. And it is one number. It is not "I am a ten at one course, but a six at another and late in the summer when I am playing more often I am a two." Read up on the handicap system or actually keep one for a few years and you will gain a better understanding. While your play from round to round may differ greatly, you index will not fluctuate as much as you think. It will likely settle around a 1-2 stroke range and is a result of your accurate reporting of scores played by the rules.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM

I have a 19-degree TaylorMade Rescue in my bag to replace my 3-iron, and it's fantastic. I highly recommend making the change.

As far as everyone ripping on the OP, it's not that unusual. I played competitive golf in junior and had a handicap that hovered between 0-4.

These days, every season is the same. I start out each spring shooting in the 81-86 range and am consistently between 73-78 by mid-summer.

Sadly, you can never regain the touch/nerves around the green of a confident teenager playing six days a week, which is always the difference between a 5 handicap and a scratch player.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM

i just read the USA handicap system, man its complicated, here in Australia a scratch golfer is very very good, it is exceptionally difficult to become a scratch golfer, in fact it has to be approved by the AGU (or at least it used to be)

From what i can tell a scratch golfer out here would be about +2 to +4 over there. Here there is an absolute huge difference between 12 and scratch, Out here if you can truly play of scratch on a semi tough course, you are definately good enough to become a club pro, and probably would go close to making it on the tour.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm with nsj, I replaced my 3 iron with a 19-degree taylor made rescue and love it (I'm a 9.8). I'm debating replacing the 4 iron with a 22 degree, but then I'm not really left with anything to punch out of the trees with.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 PM

After adding the 585H to my bag this winter I'll never NOT have a hybrid. It's so versatile: from the rough, the tee, fairway bunkers you name it. It's def become my safe "go to" club over the 3 wood. I don't sacrifice that much distance and it goes a helluva lot straighter. Also easier to shape right to left for me. I have the *17 and will add the *21 this summer.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 PM

I had a taylor made ti bubble 2 3-wood that I swore I would never replace. Last summer I bought a callaway 2 hybrid to cover the gap between that and my 3 iron. I took about a round for me to realize how much better the hybrid was. And I hit the 17 degree hybrid as far as the 3-wood (I hit the hybrid way lower). Bye, 3-wood, we'll miss ya. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway, I'm now a big fan of hybrids. I say go for it.

I went with callaway because they're not offset. My next project is to get one in the 21 degree range.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 PM

I've started to hit my 3 and 4 iron like crap lately, so I'll probably try and get a hybrid to replace my 3 iron. At golf galaxy I hit the big bertha one the best (which means very little).

ZBT- your understanding of handicap system seems a little off