Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Digitally Perfect Live Music - Free, Legal, Amazing.

Nerdish question: how high does the sampling rate have to be before we start talking about lossless behavior? I'm making a distinction here between loss from the transition from analog to digital (which is unavoidable) vs. loss from compression algorithms, which is usually what people are talking about here. Audio frequencies are quite low compared to what electronics can easily handle, so I'm sure that practically this is no problem at all, but I'm just curious.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 PM

I download shows off here all the time, mostly Umphrey's McGee. Check them out, this show is amazing. Might be the most talented band out there right now.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM

I'll check out those links later, but the main reason I was asking is that the winamp I'm running (5.24) doesn't support FLAC, the screen for the latest version (5.34 maybe?) doesn't list it as supported - and maybe I misunderstand the meaning of "native" when FLAC's page says winamp has native FLAC support - and I'd like to be able to play all my music through the same utility at the least, not to mention iPod compatibility or whatever.

Thanks for the help, all.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more recs please!

[/ QUOTE ]

Soul Coughing Live at the 930 club 10-25-1998

I think someone else may have linked this so I am going to give it a strong second. It is my favorite show I have found so far (keep in mind I am biased because Soul Coughing is maybe my favorite band ever). The only reason i didn't link it initially is because I had planned on making a thread devoted entirely to Soul Coughing and including it there. I actually found this site while looking for live SC music.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know of a good FREE utility to convert FLAC to OGG or MP3? All I can find - even off of FLAC's page - are trial versions that don't do a complete job, will only do one or two tracks, etc.

Also, the 2 Skinnee Js show from Recher Theater is great quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

For free is a 2-step process. You can convert to wav for free and then use itunes to convert to mp3.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I only used the word 'jam' to describe one of the shows. What about the other two? What about the other 40,000-some shows available? Are you pretty sure they will all be horrible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I took a look at the internet archive list and couldnt recognize a single band-- and I'm not about to sift through 40k plus no-name garage bands to find a needle

[/ QUOTE ]

Grateful Dead, Gin Blossoms, Gavin DeGraw?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll check out those links later, but the main reason I was asking is that the winamp I'm running (5.24) doesn't support FLAC, the screen for the latest version (5.34 maybe?) doesn't list it as supported - and maybe I misunderstand the meaning of "native" when FLAC's page says winamp has native FLAC support - and I'd like to be able to play all my music through the same utility at the least, not to mention iPod compatibility or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm running 5.32 and it plays FLAC with no additional plugins. Plays SHN with a plugin I found on etree.org.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm running 5.32 and it plays FLAC with no additional plugins. Plays SHN with a plugin I found on etree.org.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 AM

In case anyone is dumb like me and didn't realize it, you can FTP into their servers to easily download multiple files. Check the FAQ if you need instructions.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 PM

Awesome site. Only drawback is not being able to play shorten files on my iPod.

Downloaded a couple shows already, really dig this early Dispatch show