Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Gun control on campus

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be critical to increasing the rights of certain people, and I respect that. However, I find it necessary to have law-enforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, have some, then. I'd like some, too.

[ QUOTE ]
And, for them to enforce the law, I find it necessary for them to get certain exceptions that others do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exceptions and why?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you trust your banker to conduct financial transactions more accurately than a random person on the street? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because *I* selected the banker.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I indirectly select police. Sheriffs are elected and then deputies are hired by the sheriff to serve under him or her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't directly or indirectly select any state law enforcement officials. Now what?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pvn: With your distrust in all others but yourself, how do you suggest we acquire law-enforcement, if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I distrust everyone. That was you (well, everyone except cops).
Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 AM

I really don't care so much if concealed carry by instructors "violates school policy" -- it is a personal decision the university really doesn't need to know about.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. Maybe.

Even if I managed to persuade myself, I think I would have a problem convincing others. You see, anti-gun people, like myself, just don't feel safe in a room with 200 people all carrying guns. Knowing that any one of them would need exactly 1.5 seconds to instantly kill me, bothers me.

Another way of saying it is that increased safety with guns contradicts what I believe to be logic. If you presented me with a thorough, very well-made report that states that driving twice the speed limit increases traffic safety, I still wouldn't believe you. Yes, an extreme example, but I think it highlights my point.

[/ QUOTE ]
The main problem I see in your argument is that if someone wants to shoot his professor the rule isn't going to stop the maniac from bringing the gun. What the rule doesn't do is stop law abiding citizens from protecting themselves from maniacs.

I think you seem to believe that anyone who carries a gun and not an officer is somewhat crazy.

The only way the rule protects anyone is if the person was made so instantly mad that he would shoot someone on the spot, but not mad enough to go home and get his gun come back and do the same thing. This being said the critical question we would have to ask "which way would make us safer?"

There are many professors that would want to go to a school were they can carry, all this professors wouldn't wanna be around guns is unfounded.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't care so much if concealed carry by instructors "violates school policy" -- it is a personal decision the university really doesn't need to know about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but if they do a professor could get fired or student kicked out of school. Would be a shame that someone feels strong enough about carrying to break the rules but not strong enough to do anything about them.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say that either. I said that I trust the random police officer more than the random civilian.

Now, back to you. Can you answer my question?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say that either. I said that I trust the random police officer more than the random civilian.

Now, back to you. Can you answer my question?

[/ QUOTE ]

How I suggest "we" acquire law enforcement? I don't make any such suggestion, any more than I would "suggest" to you how to acquire a banana, or a house. "We" don't need to share a solution - you find what works for you, I'll find what works for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How I suggest "we" acquire law enforcement? I don't make any such suggestion, any more than I would "suggest" to you how to acquire a banana, or a house. "We" don't need to share a solution - you find what works for you, I'll find what works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I expected this to get difficult. Okay, do you agree that police is a good thing? The law and its enforcers applies to all citizens, you can't "find one that works for you".

The solution is shared, either you like it or not.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The law and its enforcers applies to all citizens, you can't "find one that works for you".

The solution is shared, either you like it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you're describing the status quo. Yes, there is a monopoly on law enforcement. Nobody is disputing this.