Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Kyl and Gonzales discuss UIGEA at hearing

[ QUOTE ]
VERY IMPORTANT: Gonzalez says in the testimony that DoJ pretty much will not be able to provide the necessary list of 'gambling sites' that Treasury needs in order for the banks to block 'illegal gambling transactions' to these sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not interpret his statements to mean that... there are obviously discussions going on...
Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
VERY IMPORTANT: Gonzalez says in the testimony that DoJ pretty much will not be able to provide the necessary list of 'gambling sites' that Treasury needs in order for the banks to block 'illegal gambling transactions' to these sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not interpret his statements to mean that... there are obviously discussions going on...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it different, here's why...

1) there's only a few days left on the clock (little time to work it out).

2) AG hinted at fundamental problems with doing this (privacy, fairness, I don't know? he didn't show his hand).

3) for a guys sitting at the green table trying to save his job that was about as direct of a "we can't do what you want senator" as your going to get.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it different, here's why...

1) there's only a few days left on the clock (little time to work it out).

2) AG hinted at fundamental problems with doing this (privacy, fairness, I don't know? he didn't show his hand).

3) for a guys sitting at the green table trying to save his job that was about as direct of a "we can't do what you want senator" as your going to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand the importance of the DOJ in the process of drafting the Regs... they are only consulted... Kyl could want the DOJ to do anything, but at the end of the day, its not up to the DOJ to force anything on the Regs process.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 PM

in the process of Kyl's question he read from the law which delineates DoJ with the role of identifying the bad sites. Those are his words not mine. I agree with your larger point that the Treasury holds the true cards here but I think this hiccup in DoJ's part could be a showstopper for enforcement.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the process of Kyl's question he read from the law which delineates DoJ with the role of identifying the bad sites. Those are his words not mine. I agree with your larger point that the Treasury holds the true cards here but I think this hiccup in DoJ's part could be a showstopper for enforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read the law yourself?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:25 AM

Sniper, I for one haven't and I was wondering what the criminal punishment for violating the law is?

Irrespective of the regulations and how they are enforced, it is the threat of prision and how severe the sentence that will ultimately dictate whether processing and e-wallets are again convenient and avaiable for the players.

In the end, for the sites and the players, it is all about the ability to move money around freely.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk about hitching your wagon to a falling star. Nicely played, Kyl. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what blows my mind, too! I do not understand his obsession with Internet gambling. Money laundering for terrorist activities? Is he kidding?

With everything this poor idiot Gonzales has to deal with, Kyl puts his feet to the fire over something that few besides Kyl even want?

Shocking, appalling and downright weird.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:45 PM

So if Kyl knows all these terrorists are playing on poker rooms dumping money to their sleeper cells in the U.S. then let's take advantage of it. I think I've seen them, LAGs at the BoDog NL100 tables. I'm just going to hold for premium cards and check-raise.

Sniper...you're right on the law DoJ only consults. Kyl did mention tho that Treasury needs the DoJ list of sites because they don't have access to a list that's worth a hoot.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 PM

I guess everyone who ever did a Neteller transaction will be placed on the terrorist watch list... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2007, 12:08 PM

I found it hilarious that Kyl placed such emphasis on how easy gambling sites make it to anonymously move money.

How many of us have had to jump through hoops of providing identification documents in order to do cashouts?

Not exactly anonymous. More proof that Kyl has no idea what he's talking about.