Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: New York must sees/dos/eats - for a teenager

I've eaten at Grimaldi's a couple of times, and I don't find it that impressive. In fact I like Pizza Hut or any other fast food pizza better. But lots of people do like it, so its worth a shot.

I totally agree with you, that if you're going to do the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, its gotta be Brooklyn to NY. Dumbo isn't that nice to look at. I'd also recommend doing it at night because I find it cooler. There's lots of people so you don't have to worry about safety or anything like that.

I don't know how you could come to NY without seeing Ground Zero. You're right its just a big construction site but the first time I saw it I was struck by how big of a hole it is. Plus, when your daughter is 80 years old she can talk about how she saw the results of the 9-11 attacks. You're right, its not that exciting, but its something to see.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've eaten at Grimaldi's a couple of times, and I don't find it that impressive. In fact I like Pizza Hut or any other fast food pizza better. But lots of people do like it, so its worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with Pizza Hut. I order from Domino's sometimes and it's awesome. However, they're totally different products to me. Grimaldi's pizza and Pizza Hut pizza really have very little in common. This isn't a pizza snob post about how Pizza Hut isn't pizza, it's just not really the same thing. It's kind of like saying, "I don't like their hamburgers, I like the salmon at this other place way better."

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you could come to NY without seeing Ground Zero. You're right its just a big construction site but the first time I saw it I was struck by how big of a hole it is. Plus, when your daughter is 80 years old she can talk about how she saw the results of the 9-11 attacks. You're right, its not that exciting, but its something to see.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say they shouldn't see it and I definitely didn't comment on how exciting it was. The two things I said were (1) it can be an emotionally unpleasant experience for some people (2) it bears little resemblance to the last time most people saw it on TV. I think both of those are pretty clear facts. If his daughter wants to see I think she absolutely should get the chance.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with Pizza Hut. I order from Domino's sometimes and it's awesome. However, they're totally different products to me. Grimaldi's pizza and Pizza Hut pizza really have very little in common. This isn't a pizza snob post about how Pizza Hut isn't pizza, it's just not really the same thing. It's kind of like saying, "I don't like their hamburgers, I like the salmon at this other place way better."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the point I was trying to make (albeit poorly) was that if you've got a 14 year old kid that likes pizza, where pizza means Dominoes, Pizza Hut, etc. they may be surprised by what 'pizza' is at Grimaldis. When I was 14 I would not have appreciated the difference, I would have been annoyed that this great pizza place, didn't serve pizza.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say they shouldn't see it and I definitely didn't comment on how exciting it was. The two things I said were (1) it can be an emotionally unpleasant experience for some people (2) it bears little resemblance to the last time most people saw it on TV. I think both of those are pretty clear facts. If his daughter wants to see I think she absolutely should get the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I read "there's less and less to see every day, it basically looks like any random construction site at this point." as saying it wasn't exciting. No need to get defensive, but if I personally were only in NY for a day I would see it. Thats what I was saying.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Carnegie Deli

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of great suggestions on this thread, but when I went there I found Carnegie deli gross, is all senses of the word.

Is it just me that finds the portions make the food utterly inedible? I didn't help my case my ordering a reubens, as the thought of putting that in a doggy bag was horrible.

Grays papaya was stunning though. As was every other restaurant we went too, though BLT steak serves yorkshire puddings as their bread, which freaked me out.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the point I was trying to make (albeit poorly) was that if you've got a 14 year old kid that likes pizza, where pizza means Dominoes, Pizza Hut, etc. they may be surprised by what 'pizza' is at Grimaldis. When I was 14 I would not have appreciated the difference, I would have been annoyed that this great pizza place, didn't serve pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I agree totally. I wrote, "Lombardi's and Grimaldi's are probably my #1 and #2, but they're also more likely to not be a hit with kids that are picky eaters."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I read "there's less and less to see every day, it basically looks like any random construction site at this point." as saying it wasn't exciting. No need to get defensive, but if I personally were only in NY for a day I would see it. Thats what I was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I just wanted to be clear that I didn't say it was boring and was trying to explain that it looks a lot different than more people probably expect.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Evan - doesn't Bleecker and Carmine form a "V", where Joe's is at the end point of the V?

In any event, I meant the one on the corner.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try and get tickets to the Daily Show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most late night shows in NY are either age 16+ or 18+.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:24 AM

this depends a lot on the kid, but nyc is a great place to see some music in the evening. I would have been down with a jazz show or some classical music, but I was a weird kid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. if your kid is similarly weird, I can make some recommendations.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan - doesn't Bleecker and Carmine form a "V", where Joe's is at the end point of the V?

In any event, I meant the one on the corner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, you were talking about the right one. I just wanted to clear it up in case he looked for Joe's on Bleecker and "couldn't find it".
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM

If they haven't seen it, take them to see Blue Man Group, tons of fun, especially for that age group.