Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: 3/6 JJ - rare time for slowplay

No one is going to put us on a 7 when we three-bet the flop. They'll put us on a big pair, a J, or AK. They WILL however put us on a big hand if we wait and raise the turn.

The decision to spring to life on the flop or turn is quite subtle. A main factor for me is the simple fact that raising the turn basically limits the amount of action we can get while if we three-bet the flop we have considerably more "upside."

Jake the Snake's argument for why waiting until the river to spring to life is a big mistake is very strong, in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Re: 3/6 JJ - rare time for slowplay

[ QUOTE ]
...when we three-bet the flop. They'll put us on a big pair, a J, or AK...

[/ QUOTE ]
After thinking more about this hand, I guess, three-betting the flop is right.

My first mindset was, that with this preflop action, villains are more likely to be on high cards / high pairs than on a flush draw. So, as you say, with 3-betting the flop, they will put me on the same hand. If so, do hands like AK, AQ or TT fold to a 3-bet?

After rethinking the hand, I wondered, which card I like to come on the turn. If a K or a Q comes and I raise the turn, will they put me on two pair and fold? If a lower card than a J comes, they will still not have improved, so if I then spring to live, will they fold?

After all this and how the hand played out, I think, you made the maximum out of it, because nobody actually was on a flush draw or had a 7. But if somebody had been, you would have missed action.