Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: ps3 appreciation

Shadow,

You're wrong and you're just coming off as a jackass. Nintendo was turning a profit even during the "dark era" of Gamecube. Nintendo has made consoles and games for year with a profit. That is the only thing that they do. On the other hand, Sony has sunk a ton of money into all sorts of non-video game departments which are all losing money. I believe that the PS3 is losing money still but the department is being kept afloat by PS2 software sales.

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it like this why would Nintendo have to say

"only exit the software business at the same time [it] would exit the hardware business"; Nintendo signaled that it would not discontinue its console business to focus on developing games like Sega had done after discontinuing the Dreamcast.

unless there was strong speculation/makes sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's much more likely that this statement was made in response to a question at a press conference/E3.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sony mistook that fanbase for meaning they no longer had any need to put out a quality product to stay the console giant, so now you end up with a system like the PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obvious bs, there is nothing wrong with the ps3 execept for the price.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:42 AM

I have a 360 currently, and love it. But everyone knows PS3 will be the winner in the longrun, Im probably going to get one end of the year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is for everyone that has a ps3 and knows its going to be the strongest system in the long run. The technology and capabilities of this system are far beyond anything the crapbox and wii offer. So if you got a ps3 and want to show some support let it be known here.

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically you're saying that while there are no good games out for it now, you hope there will be later?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 360 currently, and love it. But everyone knows PS3 will be the winner in the longrun, Im probably going to get one end of the year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically how I feel, except I own both now just because I like to waste money. The system has a lot of potential and no real reason it won't live up to it by the end of the year or so. I still think 360 will put up a pretty big fight.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sony mistook that fanbase for meaning they no longer had any need to put out a quality product to stay the console giant, so now you end up with a system like the PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of world are you living in? Have you noticed that the PS3 is slowly losing every single exclusive it once had? Have you noticed that games for the PS3 are being canceled left and right (Oblivion expansion / Gran Turismo / etc). Have you noticed that games that play on both the 360 and PS3 tend to play significantly worse or with less options on the PS3?

You probably haven't noticed this but Sony has been giving the finger to their former third party developers which is why games like GTA IV are not only no longer exclusives, but are also giving exclusive content to the 360. You probably haven't noticed this but Sony provided absolute [censored] for documentation and support to developers including the devkits themselves. You probably haven't noticed this but the PS3 hardware design is terrible for games. It was designed to pump out massive FLOPs which is great for marketting, but means next to nothing for game performance. You probably haven't noticed this but things like branch prediction, caching and direct memory access are really useful for gaming processors; the PS3 SPEs don't offer any of these. You probably haven't noticed this but the SPEs don't even use the same the same instruction set as the primary CPU. You probably haven't noticed this, but the PS3 sucks for gaming - though it would be great for exclusive nondynamic DSP.

You probably haven't noticed this but... well.. the PS3 just sucks.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:49 PM

I am not much for console wars, but everytime I read one of Dire's posts,(which almost always involve incessant PS3 bashing/360 pumping), the harder it is for me to stay unbiased.

PS3 is not nearly as bad as Dire makes it out to be. Mostly knee-jerk reactionary stuff about a console that hasn't really been given a chance from the beginning. From the price, to its lackluster launch. It is the system people love to hate. Is it the greatest system of all time, of course not. But I find it hard to believe it won't be a contender, which is basically what Dire is claiming. I am not trying to get into a flame war, but just thought it should be noted.

Also I can't find anything on the internet about GT5 being cancelled or Shivering Isles, but I could definetly be over looking it. As far as ports to Sony being lackluster, this is usually the nature of the beast, but to be fair, I think if a game was developed when both systems were out, then the ports are going to be identical.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"only exit the software business at the same time [it] would exit the hardware business"

[/ QUOTE ]

simple translation: "we will stop making consoles when hell freezes over."

you're trying to read too much out of a single quote, and ignoring the facts of their finances.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but you're wrong. There's a lot wrong with the PS3 and I'm not talking about hardware. Have you even thought of developers and consequently games? A technically inferior system such as the Xbox360 with far better developer support and thus games is a better console. Sony is losing developer support all over the place. It's faster, easier and more profitable to develop for Xbox than for PS3 by a long shot. Until the PS3 starts selling a lot more consoles, developers ain't coming back. Until developers come back and make awesome games, the PS3 ain't shifting more units. Sony made a huge mistake.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS3 is not nearly as bad as Dire makes it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but it is an inferior console for gaming.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as ports to Sony being lackluster, this is usually the nature of the beast, but to be fair, I think if a game was developed when both systems were out, then the ports are going to be identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very easy for developers to take advantage of the technology of the 360. To achieve a similar level of performance from the PS3 requires significantly more time, manpower, and money. So the developers do the easy thing, design the game for 360 and make a crappy port to the PS3.

Titles designed from the ground up for PS3 have the capacity to be better than those on the 360 graphically, but the developers are no longer interested in making exclusives for Sony.