Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Bin
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: The Dude Converts

The stance that most probably a God does not exist (or a personal God(s) that has a special interest in mankind or planet earth) is usually an emotional one, especially for someone that grows up in or is attached to a god-based religious home life and society. Hostility and misunderstanding will now be a given that will be a constant, if you make your rational outlook well known or conspicuous to friends and family. Many will not understand or be taken aback, but some at least will be civil and tolerant or that is to be hoped.

At this juncture a time of reflection is needed, a breathing space so to speak, to take stock of your decision and all the implications that it may entail. Calm inner self-examination is called for. Responses to the attitude changes that will no doubt take place within your own family and circle of friendships should be weighed so that you choose words and conversations with care as quick and thoughtless communications can have far reaching implications. You should thoroughly examine the repercussions of this significant shift in your thinking and beliefs. The above may sound trite or trivial advice but I assure you I do not give this out lightly. It was gained from some of my own experiences. You should also learn and practice the very valuable lesson of Confucian silence. You may not understand this right away but in time it will become something of great value.

I also feel hesitant about trying to give serious advice, no more so than now, but I think it important enough to forego my own reticence.

Remember, Rationality has a price.

-Zeno
Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 AM

When I go all-in whit A4, at the end of an turbo tourney, with my last $800, and a nice player calls me with AK, and I win, I`m shure God exists. Ty Dude
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 AM

dude

what is more important to you - your wife or your non-belief in god?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM

Dude-
Counseling is truly in order IF your wife is a real committed Christian and you are (or even if you aren't) an Atheist.
You are asking her to tilt her whole belief system to accommodate your new thinking. (She married a christian)

I equate it somewhat to deciding that you are gay after being married for a period of time, or deciding that the ultra conservatives are right...well you can guess.

It's your life. You have chosen to share it with someone else. COUNSELING.

Good Luck DUDE and DUDETTE
Old 04-15-2007, 09:21 AM

I dont understand why believing or not believing in God should effect somebody's life. I mean what do religious people do in their everyday life (except sundays of course) that an atheist doesnt or vice versa?!

Also, there is no way you can prove the existence of a supernatural god using math and finding analogy to things that belong to this world.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Congratulations. I too was a believing Christian, probably not for as long as you, but for a long time, who made the same realization. It didn't come from any one book or argument, just deep thinking on my part, and one day it just snapped. I realized that all the time I was going to church, praying, etc., that I didn't really believe it, and that I was simply lying to myself the whole time so that I could fit in with what other people I knew believed. I wanted to be a Christian, because I thought that it was the "right" sort of way to live one's life based on what society told me, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't buy the message they were trying to send. Afterwards I sat back and thought about religion for a little while, read a few books with a more logical mindset, and it soon became obvious that the idea of the existence of a biblical god was simply ridiculous.
Good luck with your marriage - I know this may be tough for you now, but I think that it's quite likely that you've been doubting this aspect of your life for a long time, and things will probably turn out for the better, especially if Christianity was so essential to your marriage that your wife would break up with you because of it. Obviously counseling is in order, but I think that if you have the type of truly strong bond that people who are married should have, your wife should be able to accept your beliefs.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 AM

How can Haji be christian? lol.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont understand why believing or not believing in God should effect somebody's life. I mean what do religious people do in their everyday life (except sundays of course) that an atheist doesnt or vice versa?!

Also, there is no way you can prove the existence of a supernatural god using math and finding analogy to things that belong to this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether Dude believes in God or not is not the issue at hand. It is the relationship with his wife that he is now having trouble with because of his (I don't know what to call it-paradigm shift?)

Religion is a personal choice. You are lucky if you have not been adversely affected when some religious folks find out you have no "God based" beliefs.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:30 AM

I do have "God based" beliefs but my life would be exactly the same if I didnt.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It reminds me of the quote by JFK: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

[/ QUOTE ]

You should fear misquoting people.

[/ QUOTE ]

More of a misattribution than a misquote. But then all those three letter politicians are the same.