Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: This is crazy to me...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually say this: "Imagine we are flipping coins. Heads and I win $5.25. Tails, you win $4.75. That's poker. If you can flip 2,000 times a day, it's a decent living."

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense at all. Are you inferring that anyone can turn a profit playing poker and that they will always come out on the winning end in the end if they "flip" enough coins? Because I would say it's like this:

1% of all online players are actually making a profit while 99% are saying they are but are really not. After all, we all know everyone online is winning and there are no losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

LBK is going for a second straight "most consistently terrible posts" day today. Keep up the good work!

[/ QUOTE ]
*deleted*

[/ QUOTE ]
Please stop stealing lines from Jim Norton and reiterating them poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]*deleted*

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, aren't you the guy that made a huge deal about how good you are and challenged futuredoc to a big hyped up HU match and still haven't come through?

How's that going for ya?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It does not really bother me too much, because I remember when I first heard about people playing poker for a living, I didn't think it was possible either.

It's aboslutely crazy to me what a small percentage of our population understands how its possible to generate income playing poker.

I almost feel like I have a hidden advantage over everyone else in the world because my career is so non-understood and looked down upon. I think its great.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, if you "really don't care" then why the [censored] is it driving you crazy - and why are you posting this? You obviously do care.

I'll tell you why such a small percentage of the population aren't aware about the possibility of winning in poker. They don't care! That's right, a lot of people in the world don't care about poker. It's shocking, I know.

You have no hidden advantage at all, because "the world" isn't playing poker. They do other things, and I'm sure you understand as little about the other things as you do about poker.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, i believe the reason its 5.25 vs 4.75 on a 50% is because you have an edge... if you have the edge its no longer gambling its working.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are getting paid to flip coins (or deal cards) it's called working. If you are wagering on the outcome it's gambling.

Poker is gambling.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:10 AM

Poker is work for me.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually say this: "Imagine we are flipping coins. Heads and I win $5.25. Tails, you win $4.75. That's poker. If you can flip 2,000 times a day, it's a decent living."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good...but I usually say " Imagine we roll a dice if it lands on 1-5, I'll pay you $100 dollars...but if it lands on 6 you pay me 1000 dollars...and we do this a few dozen times....of course you would never go for such an arrangement because when it was all said and done, you'd likely be broke, but at a poker table, you can get people to take the same or worse odds all day long....the cards and chips are just the tools of the trade but the goal of forcing your opponent to take a wager that is unfavorable to him or her is the same and in the long run, profit is inevitable

Most of my non poker playing friends seem to get it when I explain it this way. Granted if they don't get the coin-flipping analogy, they obviously aren't going to get this, but it's a good analogy for those that do get the coin-flipping analogy, but can't relate it to poker.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 AM

lol
Old 04-15-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No, I play online.

[/ QUOTE ]

post PT Stats!