Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: How often do you mess up?

this thread makes me feel better about this leak of mine...which isn't good.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I make more terrible plays AND more great plays than 98% of people who play HSNL.

I like to call them unforced errors and call myself the Venus Williams of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you change your avatar on 2+2 and all poker sites to Venus Williams, I will coach you for 4 hours (6 hours if I'm feeling generous)

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
VNH.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:44 PM

About once per session, usually after I've been playing for a while, I will make a stupid play. And it almost always involves calling where I should raise or fold, and then firing again on the next street to make up for what was a bad call on the prior street. Which amplifies the mistake.

After the hand, I either (a) immediately admit to myself how stupid it was as I think through the hand, when I am in a good frame of mind, or (b) rationalize how villain made a bad play with a weakish hand and should have folded, when I am in a bad frame of mind. Situation (a) leads to better play for the session, while situation (b) is the downward tilt slope.

Frequently at least once a session, which can be the turning point for a good or bad session. I can be my own worst opponent.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I make more terrible plays AND more great plays than 98% of people who play HSNL.

I like to call them unforced errors and call myself the Venus Williams of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound just like my friend who i'd beat at ping pong all the time, but insist it wasn't becaues i made good plays, it was because he made "unforced errors". it doen't make much sense and you suck
Old 04-16-2007, 05:18 AM

A useful way of conceptualising mistakes (in life and poker) is to categorise them into two broad categories:

A) Sloppy errors.
In poker, these are chiefly due to loss of concentration and tiredness. The solutions are fairly obvious and have been discussed elsewhere - e.g. play when alert, exercise regularly, eat healthily, play lots of short session, don't have distractions like TV or IM when playing, take time over every decision and have a dialogue with yourself about hands, quite when tilting & running bad, etc. The importance of these thing really struck me recently when I was thinking about the mental tiredness I feel after playing a full session of poker. The only thing I can liken it too is the feeling I had after sitting a difficult 3 hour important final exam. Playing poker at a high-level is mentally gruelling - would you sit an important exam when hungover? Or with the TV on?

B) Learning opportunities.
This is when you realise retrospectively that there was some piece of information available at the time that could have led to a better decision. These are by far the most interesting types of mistakes, and are a massively important learning tool throughout life in general. It's actually a positive thing if this is happening, because it means you are still growing as a player.

Essentially, you shouldn't really regret mistakes as long as you can turn them into some sort of positive learning experience. Even a mistake that appears to be a type A error can be, on further reflection, a learning opportunities. Go through a mental checklist with each mistake:

1) What was the mistake?
2) Why did I make it?
3) What can I do in the future to avoid it?

In short - mistakes can be positive experiences, embrace them!

As for the actual question, I make a crap-ton of mistakes, of both types, and probably don't learn nearly as much from them as I should! I do try and reflect on them on a daily basis though. I normally divide them into:

1) Big e.g. 1/4 of a pot size or bigger, such as a bad call down with AA against an obvious set.
2) Medium e.g. a missed thin value bet etc.
3) Small e.g. a loose preflop call OOP

I have been learning NL for the last 6 months, and it's only recently where I have started logging the odd session where I don't consciously make any big mistakes. Through the last 6 months I honestly think I may have averaged 1 or 2 big mistakes per 1000 hands -- a huge sum of money.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:51 PM

another fantastic post stigmata, you're doing the euros proud.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM

stigmata,

Clear your inbox. I just wanted to say, "Great post" but wordier.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM

Cleared.... I guess you need to re-send it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Thanks for the feedback - it's appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]