Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Bread and cheese

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mr,

Acme is the bread I buy the most. I love their Olive bread, the walnut bread, and one with nuts and cranberries. I always get bread from there if I go to the Ferry Building farmer's market on Saturday. They also sell Acme Bread at Whole Foods here, but it's sorta random what they have available at any given time. Great bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out the bakery in berzerkely. it's on san pablo, right next door to the best value for the money wine shop in the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told Diablo about Kermit Lynch a couple of years ago. He blew me off. FWIW, you're totally right.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Breads and cheeses

I'm still amazed by the no knead bread, I make it at least a couple times a month.

Original Post?

Recipe

Stolen Jingleheimer pics
Before

After

Old 04-10-2007, 03:04 AM

I used to work at Berkshire Mountain Bakery, which produces some spectacular organic sourdough bread and pizza crusts. I think my favorite was their potato onion loaf.

Here's what the inside of the oven looks like - those are sesame loaves inside:

I used to work in the pizza place that used their crusts and fill in some late night / early morning baking shifts at the same time. The oven was usually around 625 degrees, with 4 separate shelves like the one pictured. Usually I was on oven duty, which meant loading the bread in on the roller and then taking them out four or five at a time with this 12 foot, heavy-ass paddle:

I worked Friday nights in the pizza place, then over to the bakery for the overnight shift. Catch a few winks and be back in the restaurant at 9 AM for a double on Saturday. Sometimes I would actually hand toss the crusts in the bakery, deliver them to the restaurant myself, then a little later show up at the restaurant for work and cook those pizzas too.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal favorite, Port Salut.

[/ QUOTE ]
Port Salut is awesome.

I love soft cheeses... my staple for a long time was just a really good Brie and a loaf of Ciabatta from Whole Foods. I'm trying to branch out more, though, so I usually check out something that's on sale, but I too often forget what I had.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like that cheese... i think one time it was being given as free samples at whole foods?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much all the cheeses at whole foods can be sampled. just ask the person behind the cheese counter.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i meant was, i think that was where i tried it
Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM

ElD, I'm assuming you saw my post in the other thread about the Poilane loaf. Absolutely amazing stuff, the most chewy crust I've ever tasted. The thing weighs in at an awesome four pounds, if I remember correctly. If you love bread, have a loaf shipped to you and check it out. It's not worth the money for the bread itself, but might be for the experience if you're curious.

www.poilane.fr/

http://www.teamwetdog.com/indexes/index358.htm
(tasting notes, background...)

I've started making most of my own bread however, and tend to do three varities: an Italian style ciabatta, a whole wheat loaf and a whole wheat-white loaf that I infuse with spices. That's this one...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM

The best snacking cheese, IMHO:

Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Does anyone like goat cheese on toasted cristini? I had these in a salad and they were really good. Goat chese starts off sort of creamy and mild at the beginning but then has a sort of sharp tinge at the end. I am liking this cheese more and more.

-J
Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mr,

Acme is the bread I buy the most. I love their Olive bread, the walnut bread, and one with nuts and cranberries. I always get bread from there if I go to the Ferry Building farmer's market on Saturday. They also sell Acme Bread at Whole Foods here, but it's sorta random what they have available at any given time. Great bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out the bakery in berzerkely. it's on san pablo, right next door to the best value for the money wine shop in the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told Diablo about Kermit Lynch a couple of years ago. He blew me off. FWIW, you're totally right.

[/ QUOTE ]

most people don't understand/can't comprehend/refuse to believe the awesomeness that is euro style blends when compared to the single layered varietal stuff they produce a few miles north of us. ditto for how good wines that aren't written up in spectator every month can be.

the single best thing about Kermit, though, is taking a really good, really cheap vouvray to a friend's house and telling them "don't bother looking for it. you can only get it at this shop that I go to. i'll pick you up a case the next time i'm there" and having them indebted to you.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

Eli's bakery in manhattan makes decent bread, and they've expanded so now I can get it at my local grocery uptown. Honestly, I think even Kraft sharp cheddars are pretty good if uve got the nice bread wid it. Also, a well aged gouda can't be beat in my book. Though I suppose a solid goat cheese with tomatoes goes well on a toasted or untoasted slice (sourdough or any plain french baguette) typiu