Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: jogging fatso?

I started jogging fairly seriously for the first time in my life to win a bet with my girlfriend.

I was getting struggling to do less than 2 miles per on my initial runs, but now I can do over 3 without a problem and 2.5 is a short run. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, and ended up dropping about a dozen pounds in March.

It also turned out to be a lot of fun seeing more of the neighborhood that I usually just drive past.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM

I started jogging last summer when I was at 330 lbs. I started by walking most of the course and jogging the last 1/4 mile, then running 1/2 mile, then bumping it to 3/4 after two weeks, then 1 mile two weeks later, etc (I'm down to 265 pounds and currently run 5 miles).

Running is hard on the body, especially for fat asses like us, but there's no more efficient form of cardio for losing weight. If I can do it, I suspect you can too. Just try not to get discouraged at first (gasping for breath after 1/2 mile, huffing past cackling skateboarders, etc.)

I suppose checking with a doctor first might be a good idea, especially if you've never seriously exercised before.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 PM

Id stick with the bike until you drop a lot more weight. You are gunna get a better workout (you can bike waaaay longer than you can run, so youll burn more calories) and its low impact, so if you ankles and knees are already "bad" you wont make them worse.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 PM

where can i get inexpensive cross trainers or running shoes? does DSW sell this kind of stuff?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 PM

jam on the bike to lose a lot of weight. run a couple times a week but dont overdo it bc if you are super fat it could cause a lot of problems.

how tall are you btw?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where can i get inexpensive cross trainers or running shoes? does DSW sell this kind of stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a fairly big guy (though not nearly as big as some) and I have a heavy running step. You'll need something with heavy padding like I did.

I say just nut up and get the Nike Air Pegasus. They'll be $70-$80 but even Nike haters agreed that it's a good shoe for people who are like me. Also, it's not like I'm doing insane mileage, just around 17 miles/week right now.

Try to stay away from cross trainers as they're going to be a lot heavier and less flexible.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 PM

i'm 5'10" i'm fat, but not super fat. i'm stocky i guess. i'm going to keep doing the biking, but it doesnt' seem like i'm losing much weight with it. thought jogging might help.

probably eventually add light weights.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Also, running is likely not going to be bad for you as long as you stick within your body's limits and make sure to keep a good form the whole time. If you're running by jumping from foot to foot, which a lot of people do including me when I get tired, then you are going to hurt your joints. Also, if you let yourself slouch you are going to put some serious strain on your back and hips.

Just try to take short strides, stay upright, and almost make it feel like you're body's moving forward and your legs are just keeping up. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's how I think about it when I'm out there.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 PM

I just ran/jogged/walked about 2 miles today and almost died. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Def time to get back in shape.

Dids, kudos.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was a fairly big guy (though not nearly as big as some) and I have a heavy running step. You'll need something with heavy padding like I did.

I say just nut up and get the Nike Air Pegasus. They'll be $70-$80 but even Nike haters agreed that it's a good shoe for people who are like me. Also, it's not like I'm doing insane mileage, just around 17 miles/week right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is horrible advice. Getting a proper fitting running shoe is about support, not padding. All the cushioning in world won't help when you are pronating. The Air Pegasus is not a shoe I would recommend for a heavy runner. Its for someone who is neutral/mild pronator and relatively fast.

Oddjob,
If you are serious about this, go to a running store, not a sporting goods store, and get properly fitted for shoes. It will be worth the investment. As for the actual running part, as others have suggested, start with 1 min. run/1 min. walk or something similar and work your way up slowly.