Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: So How is Microsoft Vista?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How long is it usually before one should really upgrade to the new OS? 1 year? I know people who are still using ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people you know are pretty dumb IMO

ME was by far the worst OS ever created, MS Developers will tell you the same

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually love Win2k, that's what I still reinstall on older laptops or whatever that breaks.

soooo much faster than XP on 512 mb ram.

never used ME
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no real reason for someone like you to upgrade until your computer is really out of date.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, I would go so far as to say that there's no reason for anybody to upgrade to Vista unless you buy a new computer and it happens to come with it. I have nothing against Vista, it runs just fine, but I see no reason to buy it / spend time and effort installing it over existing XP.

-bigbootch

p.s. As an ex-developer in the Windows group (although I had absolutely nothing to do with the development of ME), I would agree that Windows ME is retarded.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:09 PM

A couple of weeks ago it wasn't compatible with itunes (or itunes was not compatible with it - depending on how you look at it). I haven't checked since then, since I just use it on the other computer that still has XP.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM

How is Vista in terms of interface slickness? I know MS wanted to compete a little with Macs as far as the "that's cool" effect goes.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago it wasn't compatible with itunes (or itunes was not compatible with it - depending on how you look at it). I haven't checked since then, since I just use it on the other computer that still has XP.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most recent itunes release does fix this issue.

-bigbootch
Old 03-29-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The most recent itunes release does fix this issue.

-bigbootch

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Vista Home Basic came with the new computer I bought a few months ago. So far I'm not too impressed, but I hear the Home Basic is the most stripped down version, lacking most of the fancy bells and whistles promoted by MS.

Lots of driver/compatibility issues and it is a resource hog as mentioned above; I ought to reformat the drive and reinstall XP but now I finally got it somewhat the way I like it so I probably won't.

Swede
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM

I recently bought a new machine that came with vista. I choose business, which might have been a mistake (it doesn't come with the poker game, dammit). The divx incompatibility is major issue for me, and makes me pretty much hate vista. I'm not very impressed with the new interface, but I probably wouldn't be, no matter what it did. I would definitely stick with XP for at least six months, unless you're buying a new computer.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM

I'm a little disappointed my MS action pack is trying to force me to swtich to vista business 32-bit.

Maybe if they had thrown in 64 bit or something, but otherwise it is not worth the upgrade...

I'm going to run vista once most computability issues are resolved. I think people saying "there will be no reason to ever upgrade to vista" are kind of disillusioned. The drain on new hardware within 1-2 years will be unnoticeable.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM

My favorite feature in Vista so far is how you can search the start menu. Instead of searching through Program Files -> Games -> Blah -> Whatever, you just press the start button and start typing, and it will keep narrowing your search down until you have what you want, and then hit enter.

While you are doing this, it is searching programs, emails and documents as well, so you can use this to grab anything without having to go digging so much.

This feature is great for us unorganized people who have so many directories, documents all dumped in a folder, unorganized emails and shortcuts, etc. The everything-indexed-for-search generation of UI's is going to be great for us. In your face organized people!