Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: UIGEA Screws Tightening on Pro Net Gaming Offshore Banks!

[ QUOTE ]
"US banks MUST COMPLY" ...

And, if paper checks and EFTs are exempted from the scope of their compliance responsibility, as many suggest, ... why wouldn't the online industry adapt to thosemethods for the US market.

It may not be as smooth, easy, efficient or open, but why do you think a market demand will go unmet ..... That seems downright UnAmerican of you Gaboon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, speaking as an economics minor, the market will adapt. There are lots of ways to store money and move it around. I use Pokerstars, which is set up offshore. Presumably whatever bank(s) they use (operating funds and customer accounts are separate) either are not subject to US pressure, or they can find overseas banks that fit that bill. On my end, I sent my deposit via Western Union. When I make a withdrawl, they can send me a paper check which does not "Pokerstars" on it, so I will have no trouble depositing or cashing it in the US. No US banks need be involved, except for the one I put my winnings in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 PM

You guys are a laugh. Do you think that if online poker had any LONGTERM chance at all in the USA that there would not be a TON of sites trying to break into the US market now that Party, Paradise, Doyle, etc. etc. have dropped out??

So where are all the new sites clamoring for all the "opportunity" in the US market left by the many sites that have vacated the United States??

There is so much venture capital out there that if anyone thought there was a chance for online poker to continue longterm in the USA we would be seeing loads of new poker sites entering the US market....WHERE ARE THEY??

Enjoy your delusions for online poker to continue in the US longterm----but that is just what they are, DELUSIONS.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 PM

whoever said anything about new sites?

i think if p stars and full tilt kept operating in the US (even at current levels) people would be happy, although not overwhelmingly thrilled.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Stay tuned
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Tuff
Old 03-28-2007, 11:54 PM

Default What you don\'t know about the gaming industry would fill volumes.

Gaboon,

Apparently, you know nothing about the long-term prospects for online gaming in the US market, poker and otherwise. The names MGM, Venetian, and Harrahs do not register on your screen. The current push in the US for regulatory approval of server-based gaming at the State level escapes your superficial recognition. The relative ease of entry for new capital ventures outside the US market, due to interference with the free market provision of services witnin the US also eludes sense of how venture capital flows.

Go join the Womens Christian Temperance Union, they "defeated" demon rum with the prior Prohibition Act.

Oh Yeah, I forgot, you said the absolute end of online poker for the US was slated for March 1st, uhmmmm, about 4 weeks ago.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: What you don\'t know about the gaming industry would fill volumes.

GaboonViper = Carrie Nation?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy your delusions for online poker to continue in the US longterm----but that is just what they are, DELUSIONS.

[/ QUOTE ]
How ironic. I think "delusions" are your area of experitise. Not ours.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 AM

Default The free market will prevail over isolationists and nannys.

Even for an economics minor, (a noble course of study .... did you see my Nobel on the wall by the way ?), you presume a bit too much from current structures. While I agree that the market will meet demands for services, it is clear that the stigma of illegality will raise the price for services, directly or indirectly.

You write: "On my end, I sent my deposit via Western Union".

That will not last, BetOnSports was indicted for using Western Union like that. It IS highly possible that, like fish in the sea, online gaming transfers via Western Union will slip past the flood of small transfers headed South from the US daily. However, that will not be a major factor in the flow of US deposits.

As for cashouts, which are not covered by the UIGE Act by the way, I agree with you ... "When I make a withdrawl, they can send me a paper check which does not "Pokerstars" on it, so I will have no trouble depositing or cashing it in the US."

The fact will remain that, for those US players who are willing to jump thru hoops perhaps, there will continue to be a World market of poker playing online.

Isolationists cannot defeat the relentless push for services from a worldwide market. For US players there will be ONE market, the World ... they will be able to tap into it, albeit at an increased indirect cost compared to their foreign counterparts.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 AM

Default WCTU promises join the fight FOR gambling prohibition ...

Basically, yes.

According to the Womens Christian Temperance Union website:

"We shall develop position papers in the next few months on some of the following topics:
ALCOHOL
Amount in each serving of beer, wine, wine cooler, and whiskey.
Its effects on the brain
FAS/FAE
The safe choice - total abstinence
Alcohol #1 Drug Problem

TOBACCO

Effects of smoking and chewing (snuff).
Our awareness of this problem since 1875.

ILLEGAL DRUGS

Marijuana
Hemp
Crack cocaine
Methamphetamine
Anabolic steroids
Inhalants

GAMBLING - Our awareness of this problem goes back over 100 years."

Maybe there IS a place for Gaboon after all.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 AM

'How much are they paying?"

According to Gaboon, they are paying 100% Rakeback, plus room and board for 2 - 10 years