Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Circuit City to Fire 3,400, Rehire Cheaper Workers

[ QUOTE ]
i like how all of these degenerate poker players are suddenly smart enough to outthink highly educated and well trained corporate Circuit City employees on what they are doing with their business

seriously u guys R SMART

[/ QUOTE ]
I like how you think that just because we play poker, we can't recognize an obviously poorly run business.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Consumer Electronics stores are dropping like flies.
Tweeter closing more stores. Compusa buys Good Guys, tries to make a go of it, closes stores. I work with CE stores and they are so inept. The regional chains are dying. The big chains like CC have to evolve or die. Big companies don't evolve quickly. CC needs to turn all its stores into "local" stores with good service to justify the higher prices than Walmart/Costco/BBY or become more like WMT/Costco/BBY and have dirt cheap labor and cheap prices. Looks like they are trying the second route. I don't know if they will be successful, I would bet against it.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, a big company trying to make a profit, I cant believe it. I cant blame them, so I wouldnt be really bitter about going back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really that stoopid, or do you like taking the same job over and over again for less money, while the cost of your life goes up?

This is an incredibly shortsighted move by Circuit City, who never truly recovered from the last time they did this. Maybe they needed to reduce costs after that big hit they took in a racial discrimination lawsuit a couple years back.

The best of the employees who were making more money, will continue to make more money by taking jobs *somewhere else*. If you're willing to go back to the same employer for less money than you made last week, it must be because you kinda suck at sales and aren't capable of actually finding a better job . And if that the salesperson roster Circuit City will be maintaining, they will perform even more poorly against the competition. Vicious cycle, ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say this is true for most salespeople that don't have a job working on commission. A good salesperson will make so much more on commission than just working for an hourly wage it's not even funny. At least, that's how it is in all the industries that I've worked in (including CE)
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, a big company trying to make a profit, I cant believe it. I cant blame them, so I wouldnt be really bitter about going back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really that stoopid, or do you like taking the same job over and over again for less money, while the cost of your life goes up?

This is an incredibly shortsighted move by Circuit City, who never truly recovered from the last time they did this. Maybe they needed to reduce costs after that big hit they took in a racial discrimination lawsuit a couple years back.

The best of the employees who were making more money, will continue to make more money by taking jobs *somewhere else*. If you're willing to go back to the same employer for less money than you made last week, it must be because you kinda suck at sales and aren't capable of actually finding a better job . And if that the salesperson roster Circuit City will be maintaining, they will perform even more poorly against the competition. Vicious cycle, ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no concept of how retail works. These guys arent salesman, they are drones, if they are stupid enough to come back to work at lower pay, I fail to see how the higherups made a bad business decision. Also, douchebag, you do realize these guys dont work on commision right?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM

I've heard that Circuit City may be facing age discrimination lawsuits for this. Apparently, there doesn't have to be intent, you can't fire older employees to hire younger ones- which is what this will amount to.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that Circuit City may be facing age discrimination lawsuits for this. Apparently, there doesn't have to be intent, you can't fire older employees to hire younger ones- which is what this will amount to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Age discrimination is the biggest load of crap. Next thing you know stupid people will be suing for not being able to be doctors because of intelligence discrimination.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no concept of how retail works. These guys arent salesman, they are drones, if they are stupid enough to come back to work at lower pay, I fail to see how the higherups made a bad business decision. Also, douchebag, you do realize these guys dont work on commision right?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with this in a capitalist framework per se, but these type of moves generally signal a company that is all out of ideas on how to compete. Consumer electronics is getting to be treated more and more like a commoditized market from the demand perspective and it appears that other companies better operate as the low cost leader than CC. So how does Circuit City differentiate? Point of purchase service would likely seem to be the best way, but this move obviously says they are scaling back on that aspect. If the people want to come back for less, fine, maybe they were overpaid relative to the service and knowledge level they provided. But now you have the same low skilled employees with lower morale.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Totally agree, but imo, retail employees at places like this never had teh best morale to begin with, so Im viewing this as making up for overpaying them to begin with. People blaming the corp. in this case are wrong, all they are doing is trying to adjust to a changing dynamic in regards to electronic sales.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Age discrimination is the biggest load of crap. Next thing you know stupid people will be suing for not being able to be doctors because of intelligence discrimination.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't go anywhere, as there are countless doctors who are stupid.