Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Greatest sports moment of your entire life?

If pool is a sport (and probably isn't)...

I'm lining a pretty easy shot, but I suck at pool, so I'm lining up the cut. Friend of mine rags on me saying "you're never gonna make it". My girlfriend at the time says, "ouch, you gonna take that?". I'm in position at this point to take the shot, and as I turn my head to face my friend, I say "Oh really?" and blind shoot the ball in the pocket. Friend and gf are both rather amazed, as was I.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how does a goalie score exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]
The other team pulled its goalie in the last of the game. My team cleared our end, they dumped the puck into our end. I got to it before anyone else and launched it the length of the ice and made it. Really kinda lucky, but I had practiced all the time.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Minor one:

Game winning bomb in the final game of a baseball camp held at WSU. (not a real homer run, we were kids, basically I hit a tennis ball out of center from about 2nd base, but still, game winning homer ftw).
Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM

What's funny is that my greatest moment was immediately followed by my worst.

8th grade, down by 1 in the 4th quarter, I get fouled with 15 seconds left on the clock. I sink both free throws...

...then the other team takes it down for a quick 2, I get the ball back and call a time out, only I'm Chris Webber and we don't have any left. Game over.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Was 9, playing a cricket game at my brother's schools sports day. They were 11. Bowled by first over and got smashed for 13. Embarrassed, I was content to field the rest of the day. Then when it was obvious they were going to win I asked for a bowl. Took a hat trick. 4th ball hit the bails but they didnt come off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] We went on to win.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Playing Little League when I was 10 or 11 I hit an RBI double with 2 outs in the bottom of the 6th to win the game. My teammates mobbed me on the field. That was really cool.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing Little League when I was 10 or 11 I hit an RBI double with 2 outs in the bottom of the 6th to win the game. My teammates mobbed me on the field. That was really cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love those moments.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Varsity High School baseball, tied 6-6 in the top of the final inning. I was 1st in the lineup and I'm usually 5th or 6th so I'm not paying attention when it's my turn to bat. Everyone yells at me and I hurry up and get my batting gloves on and get a bat/helmet and head out to the box. 3rd pitch I launched it over the left field wall and we ended up winning.

Next:

Another away game. We are playing against the worst team in the league. I hit a homerun in like the first inning or so. We bat around. Everyone is saying, "it would be awesome if you got up again and hit another homerun." Well, we batted around and I took the 2nd pitch over the left field wall for 2 homeruns in the same inning. It was awesome.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM

As a complete unathletic kid, I didn't have too many of these moments...but in the last few years, I've had one or two.

Flag football championship game, my team is back in the championship game after losing the previous year by 1 point because we didn't convert an extra point attempt (it's flag, so 1 pt for getting into the endzone from 2 yd line, 2 points for getting in from the 10 yd line).

Towards the end of the first half, our team scores a TD to take a 6-0 lead and we're going for the extra-point. But the guy who caught the TD celebrated too much and was penalized, so we were going for 1 point conversion from the 12 yard line. I split out wide to the right and I'm just running basically to the front corner pylon. I get decent position and I'm somewhat open. As I approach the goal line, I turn to call for the ball...and quickly reach up my hands to catch the ball which was basically already on my shoulder. I tiptoed into the endzone for the conversion. All that practice I did running routes with our QB really paid off, he knew when I'd look and just put it out there for me. We went on to win the championship 7-6, with my conversion being the difference.

The best play I ever made was in little league. I'm playing second and we're playing against a mediocre team, our team isn't much better. Leadoff hitter (fast guy) on the other team smokes a grounder up the middle. I take 2 steps to my right, dive, pivot on my knee as I'm skidding to a stop, and fired a strike to my best friend who gave me a great stretch at first to narrowly get the batter.

Except that the umpire, Mark Mohl, totally blew the call, and called him safe.

Both benches/parents gave me a standing ovation for the play though, which was sweet.

I saw the ump at Arby's that night after the game and had to restrain myself from screaming at him. I also umpired games with him numerous times in the following years and always held a grudge against him...but that was also cause he was a pretty bad ump. Nice guy, most of the time, but a bad ump.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Little league in 8th grade, playing in the year-end All-Star game.

Bottom of the last inning, two outs, my team down by 3 runs, bases loaded... yep, I go deep for walkoff All-Star game-winning grand slam.