Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: 4/180.. AK in bb against 2 other big stacks

Where are you getting 400 chips to win 3000? Are you saying we are mincheckraising? Any worthwhile checkraise is going to put in a pot sized bet of 3000 to win 3000.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 AM

400 to call a pot already at 2925

2000 chips on the checkraise would likely work ... looks exactly like a set
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM

I like a flop check-raise more than a fold. You'll fold out a ton of better hands, and in a 4/180 it's not beyond the realm of possibility that worse hands call. If you get called, way more often than not you'll get two cards to hit your outs - caution is required in the event that you are called because your outs aren't going to be clean but raising this flop has to be +EV whereas folding is just [censored].
Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 AM

I re-raise pf, probably to like t2k-2400. As played, check fold.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM

For what it's worth, preflop when it got back around to me I went into the tank before calling. At that time I'm assuming that the other two put me on an ace, but not necessarily AK. I have had a tendency lately to overplay AK at all times, and often end up getting into trouble if I don't hit on the flop/turn.

I think that with a small pair here I most definately am calling quickly preflop. I took my time here because I wasn't sure how what to do preflop. Folding was obviously out of the question, but I was positive that any raise there short of allin was going to be called by at least one, maybe both and then what was I going to do out of position against two callers if I didn't hit my cards on the flop.

If I focus on the results of the hand, UTG had a strong preflop hand but couldn't have been happy when the two bigger stacks at the table called his first initial raise. If it was just him and I against each other, then I would have reraised him, but I didn't know MP at all and wanted to err on the side of cautious. Once the Q came on the flop and original raiser raised and was called by MP then I knew I was beat and elected to take the easy way out by folding what was essentially the winning hand. MP for his part didn't get much more than that winning the hand. I think total pot ended up around 4k with both checking the turn and river. Both were afraid when that A hit on the turn to do any more substantial betting.

I do think that a big hole of mine is that I tend to overplay AK preflop. Often against resistance I still push and a lot of the time it ends up costing me either all or a good % of my chips